FORUMS: list search recent posts

FCP slow/drop frames warning

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro Legacy

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
paolo zuniga
FCP slow/drop frames warning
on Aug 28, 2012 at 7:07:24 pm

Hello. I've been editing a video project on FCP 7 and for some reason I've been getting this slight delay and eventually a "dropped frames warning" as I try to continue my edit. My footage comes from a t2i at h264 with a rate of 5.6MB/sec.

Also, turned on my activity monitor to see if I was out of memory or something, but it shows that the system memory has about 1.8GB of free space.

This hasn't really happened before to this extent. Usually it occurs when I've got other programs running on my desktop, etc.

I usually edit from my desktop. Since this "warning" keeps popping up, decided to try and edit from my Lacie 500MB drive, which is empty aside from this project. But the project project still has this 10sec delay and keeps giving me this warning.

Any help?

thanks

Return to posts index

Steven Cohen
Re: FCP slow/drop frames warning
on Aug 28, 2012 at 7:31:35 pm

I may be wrong, but I think it is the h264 that is doing it.
I know FCP does not like to edit h264.

Steve.

Return to posts index

paolo zuniga
on Aug 28, 2012 at 7:38:36 pm

I thought that it might be the h264, but I've edited many other projects using the h264 format. Even this project was going well till about 2 days ago when it began showing a slight delay during playback.

Return to posts index

Shane Ross
on Aug 28, 2012 at 8:28:47 pm

FCP doesn't work well with h.264. It might work one day, not the next. You need to Convert to ProRes. Yes, it takes up a lot more space.

Shane
Little Frog Post
Read my blog, Little Frog in High Def

Return to posts index

paolo zuniga
on Aug 28, 2012 at 10:59:42 pm

Hmm.. well it's been working for the last 3 years. So any suggestions on how to convert this h264 footage to ProRes? I read somewhere that Compressor should do it. Would I need to take footage from Capture Scratch folder, import to Compressor, create new folder for ProRes footage, then re-link footage? Or do I need to redo the edit?

Return to posts index

Shane Ross
on Aug 29, 2012 at 12:27:02 am

Install the EOS Log and Transfer plugin from Canon and you can use Log and Transfer. If not, there's Magic Bullet Grinder that's pretty easy, drag and drop. MPEG STREAMCLIP takes a bit of tech know how. Or Drop them into Compressor and use the ProRes 422 presets. Under the Quicktime folder.

[paolo zuniga] "Would I need to take footage from Capture Scratch folder, import to Compressor, create new folder for ProRes footage, then re-link footage?"

Yes. But it gets tricky. The Compressor will add the preset name to the clip name, so you will have to remove those. And then your sequence setting is H.264, where it needs to be ProRes. So best to make a new sequence with ProRes settings, and then copy/paste the cut from the old sequence to this new one.

Shane
Little Frog Post
Read my blog, Little Frog in High Def

Return to posts index

paolo zuniga
on Aug 29, 2012 at 1:37:46 am

Definitely looks like I'll be changing my work flow for future projects. Thanks for the help, I'll go ahead and give this a try.

p

Return to posts index

Rafael Amador
on Aug 29, 2012 at 2:12:44 am

Uncheck the "warn next time". and forget about dropping frames.
rafael

http://www.nagavideo.com

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2018 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]