FORUMS: list search recent posts

Best export - quicktime confusion (pun intended)

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro Legacy

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Stephanie Tighe
Best export - quicktime confusion (pun intended)
on Aug 27, 2012 at 10:55:20 pm

Hey creative cow peoples,

I have just finished a film and am a bit confused as to what settings to use to get the best possible export from FCP in terms of quality.

The footage came in H264 and I converted it to ProRes422. The film is be screened on a projector so I just want to give the footage the best chance of looking good.

Should I export in H264 or ProRes? And if ProRes (as I am starting to suspect this is the best way to go from what I have read so far), what are the best possible video and sound settings to set when I choose quicktime conversion?

Many many thanks!
Steph

Return to posts index

Dave LaRonde
Re: Best export - quicktime confusion (pun intended)
on Aug 27, 2012 at 11:06:00 pm

That's a tough question to answer because we don't know anything about the playback device you'll use, nor anything about the projector. Can you provide that info?

Dave LaRonde
Sr. Promotion Producer
KCRG-TV (ABC) Cedar Rapids, IA

Return to posts index

Michael Gissing
on Aug 28, 2012 at 12:54:46 am

Firstly you should export quicktime movie (not conversion) with current settings so that you have a master ProRes file that matches your timeline without any transcoding.

From that file you can make any other file in Compressor to match the required settings for DVDs, projection, broadcast delivery etc.

Return to posts index

Stephanie Tighe
on Aug 28, 2012 at 1:35:40 am

Hey Michael,

Thanks for your suggestion, if I do this, you dont by any chance know what the best compression would be for playback via a Mac book pro with Quicktime 10 to a projector that is an NEC DLP 1024 x 768 native, 3000 lumens?

Many thanks!

Return to posts index

Michael Gissing
on Aug 28, 2012 at 2:13:50 am

A MacbookPro should be able to play the ProRes422 file without issue. If the projector can accept a 1920 x 1080 signal and scale it nicely then no reason not to use the master ProRes file.

Test it if possible. If the projector requires a specific scaled quicktime then create that in Compressor using frame controls.

Return to posts index

Stephanie Tighe
on Aug 28, 2012 at 1:02:28 am

Hey Dave, thanks for your response, for playback a Mac book pro with Quicktime 10 will be used and the projector is an NEC DLP 1024 x 768 native, 3000 lumens.

Return to posts index

Rafael Amador
on Aug 28, 2012 at 1:33:15 am

[Stephanie Tighe] " to set when I choose quicktime conversion? "
As Michael says.
QT Conversion is good only for draft exports.
rafael

http://www.nagavideo.com

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2018 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]