FORUMS: list search recent posts

Hello there! Facing problems with referencing Canon 5D QTMove Files on a FCP7 Navigator...

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro Legacy

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Michel Dor
Hello there! Facing problems with referencing Canon 5D QTMove Files on a FCP7 Navigator...
on Aug 27, 2012 at 9:33:17 pm

Hi!
I'm working with a FD7.0.3 running on a Mac OSX 10.7.4.
I've imported Quicktime Move Files generated by a Canon 5D for editing and couldn't see duplicates on time line although option was properly set. I figured out that files had to be identified for duplicates to perform. I'm now encountering problems with naming each Tapes (I guess this is the english name - it's called 'Bande' in my french version - in navigator its the field which appear after Angle..)
Those are my main problems :
1/ I didn't find a way to write the reference of each Tapes (such as 201) on multiple files at once. It seems that I have to go one by one, and each time an alert pops up for accepting that original files be modified.. Is there a quicker way to do it? I just have 15 Tape references to inscribe but which contains few thousand move files..
2/ There seems to be also a bug : when I use FC navigator window to put those Tapes reference infos, only the first one is taken into consideration by the system (with last modified date beeing updated). However, and although I still can inform other files Tapes reference on navigator (with similar alerts re. changes of original files) - the changes don't occurs. And when I close FD and reopen it there is only the first files which appear with the new Tape reference, not the rest which appears blank.
Is there anyone with a clue? It's of course very urgent!....
Best,
Michel

Return to posts index

Shane Ross
Re: Hello there! Facing problems with referencing Canon 5D QTMove Files on a FCP7 Navigator...
on Aug 27, 2012 at 9:40:08 pm

And I'm going to guess that you are editing these raw camera files natively in FCP...that you didn't convert to ProRes first, right? Because there is a well established workflow for tapeless media, including Canon 5D (except the mark III that changed things after FCP was discontinued)...that converts the media to an editable codec that is pretty much hassle free (H.264 the camera shoots...trying to edit that native, FULL of issues).

not only does it convert to ProRes...it adds a reel number to every shot. The Reel Number it adds is the name of the card backup folder you stored the full card structure (please tell me you kept the full card structure).

Watch this workflow...

http://library.creativecow.net/ross_shane/tapeless-workflow_fcp-7/1

Shane
Little Frog Post
Read my blog, Little Frog in High Def

Return to posts index

Michel Dor
Re: Hello there! Facing problems with referencing Canon 5D QTMove Files on a FCP7 Navigator...
on Aug 28, 2012 at 6:31:24 am

Hi Shane,

I download Canon plugin - tried transcoding into ProRes and it works! Thank you for your post + video, which were very instructive. I was hearing about ProRes issue with FC, but since I could read the H264 files via my time line I didn't dig this matter seriously - my mistake- which surely would have saved some time!...

Now, I face another problem : My project which is a feature contains approx. 2500 plans taken with the Canon and which I've synched already with all audio! - (not to say that I faced lots if issues doing that, sound was not properly recorded, lot were not referenced - I pray already to avoid to sync all project again!..)

To match previous sync. made with all the H264 plans I found only one solution so far : to import the files in ProRes with the same cut (in and out) used in the time line made for the H264.
But I can see already that this solution wont be easy. The H264 dont have time code, they basically starts at zero, but the ProRes files does have one. Therefore, to match lenghth of plans between H264 and futur ProRes files before importing it seems quite a nightmare, specially due to numerous calculation of in and out which I will have to dealt...

Another perhaps easier solution is to retrieve all in's in all H264 plans of the timeline - create a similar ProRes timeline - and recut all in's afterwards... (It might be easier this way - no calculation required - but it will take a lot of space on HD..)

Do you have perhaps another idea?...
All the best,
Michel

(and sorry for mistakes made, english is not first langage)

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]