FORUMS: list search recent posts

XDCAM EX or Pro Res for faster renders?

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro Legacy

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Stacy Formby
XDCAM EX or Pro Res for faster renders?
on Aug 27, 2012 at 7:31:22 pm

I have a long form project (12 hours of XDCAM EX1R footage) that I edited in FCP 6. I have the footage in an XDCAM EX 30 timeline. It is taking forever to render out (there is a color correction filter on the footage). Mac Pro 3.2 ghz, 16 GB RAM.

Next time, should I edit in a Pro Res sequence or choose Pro Res in the Sequence Settings > Render Control? Or will the ProRes render take a similar amount of time? This is the first long project I've worked with in XDCAM EX.

Return to posts index

Rafael Amador
Re: XDCAM EX or Pro Res for faster renders?
on Aug 28, 2012 at 1:53:11 am

Hi Stacy,
unless you are requested to deliver XDCAM, use it only for acquisition.
you can set your sequence as Prores from the beginning, or edit as XDCAM and change the sequence codec r(to Prores), right before exporting.
The rendering will be much faster and the movie will hold better quality.
Whatever the way you fallow, set "Render all YUV in High Precision".

Return to posts index

Fraser Walker
Re: XDCAM EX or Pro Res for faster renders?
on Sep 2, 2012 at 7:02:44 pm

Hi Stacy.

I work with EX1 footage all the time and I always convert it before I import to FCP. Use MPEG Streamclip to convert it to ProRes 422 before you start cutting it. The converted files will be much larger than your original EX1 footage, so be sure to have plenty of disk space in your target drive!

I haven't noticed a difference in render time, as such (but it has been a long time since I cut raw EX1 clips) but I do know that ProRes doesn't need to be rendered half as much as the EX1.

Give it a go and post your findings/review of the differences.

Good luck!

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2018 All Rights Reserved