FORUMS: list search recent posts

Final Cut Studio 2 Mountain Lion 10.8 Install

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro Legacy

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Kellen Dengler
Final Cut Studio 2 Mountain Lion 10.8 Install
on Aug 27, 2012 at 7:13:36 pm

I received my new 15" retina display MacBook Pro in the mail today. Upon purchasing it several weeks ago I was under the impression that it would arrive with Lion OSX installed on it as that was current at the time. It in fact showed up with Snow Lion 10.8 on it. I am now trying to figure out how to get FCP Studio 2 on here. My USB Super Drive won't read my Snow Leopard 10.6 DVD for me to pull Rosetta from. Any suggestions?

I've read some threads regarding Lion, but nothing specifically about Snow Lion as I have encountered several errors thus far trying to install.

Thanks.

Return to posts index

Jeff Meyer
Re: Final Cut Studio 2 Mountain Lion 10.8 Install
on Aug 29, 2012 at 5:41:29 am

Here's a thread with someone wanting the same thing - Stephen Fuchs reply seems useful:
https://discussions.apple.com/thread/4137559?start=0&tstart=0

Personally, I would haul it to an Apple store and tell them you want Lion as you were expecting. They'll probably tell you they can't roll it back. Insist you need them to so you can install a $1,000 software package you purchased from them once upon a time. If they physically can't roll it back a Macbook Pro 15" might be the answer. Or a FCS3 upgrade - if you call Apple sales you should be able to get that. Or Adobe CS6. Or Avid. I'm guessing the SSD being soldered onto the logic board gives them more options for locking you out of things. Like an upgrade to Lion or Snow Leopard.

Do consider making disk images of the installers on a portable hard drive or bringing in your SuperDrive to simplify the process. I stil can't believe Apple called BluRay a bag of hurt - a 15" laptop without an optical drive is a bag of hurt. I even consider being stuck with DVD to this day a bag of hurt.
I'll get off of my soap box now.

Return to posts index

Kellen Dengler
on Aug 29, 2012 at 6:40:40 am

Hi Jeff, thanks for the reply.

I actually have discovered a work around that appears to be working...

I got a copy of Snow Leopard and made a disk image of that onto an external hard drive. I used that disk image on my new MacBook Pro and ran the optional install of Rosetta. Once Rosetta was installed, FCP Studio 2 installed without a hitch and has been working fine all day on Mountain Lion.

I have not installed any of my 3rd party FCP plug-ins yet as I'm afraid of stability issues. I'm going to wait for others to be the guinea pigs in that department since I finally have this working now...

I'm so comfortable in FCP Studio 2 that changing over or going to FCPX seemed counter productive to me. This is working just fine for now so I'm good.

Return to posts index

Anne Flanagan
on Sep 14, 2012 at 7:53:28 pm

So if I can somehow get an installation disk of Snow Leopard, what do I need to do to get a "disk image"? I have no idea what this is, but I have a brand new MacBook Pro (mountain lion) that won't run the Final Cut Studio program I know and love. I tried to install the update from the Apple site, but it wouldn't accept that, either.
I just have no idea what a disk image is, how to create one, and what to do with it.
Can someone offer me a step-by-step? I'm scared silly at the thought of wrecking the new computer!
Thanks.

Return to posts index

Kellen Dengler
on Sep 15, 2012 at 2:28:42 pm

Creating a Disk Image isn't too hard. I just used this link as a reference and selected the Snow Leopard CD as the source to image:

http://www.macinstruct.com/node/91

Once you have the disk image the only thing you need to install on your new MBP with Mountain Lion in order for the FCP Install to boot is the Optional Install option of Rosetta from Snow Leopard install. Once you have that installed you should be fine to run FCP install.

Since the new MacBooks don't have an optical CD/DVD drive I'd recommend making a disk image of all your software that exists CDs to make your life easier in case you ever have to re-install software in the future.

This should work. Everything has been really smooth for me so far...

Return to posts index

Anne Flanagan
on Sep 15, 2012 at 4:24:13 pm

Thank you! I will give this a try (have to find a disk with Rosetta; my old computer is OS 10.4, which I understand is pre-Rosetta).

Return to posts index

Dennis Dean
on Sep 26, 2012 at 2:09:14 pm

Anne - And anyone else who knows - How is Final Cut Studio 2 working with Mountain Lion? I'm about to purchase a Mac Pro and am trying to be reasonably certain I can get Studio 2 installed on the OS. The tower has a disk drive so that should not be an issue - just wondering how the software is working.

Any hitches?
Which Mountain Lion are you running (I'm not sure how many there are at this writing)

Thanks very much!

Dennis Dean

Dennis Dean
The Dean Group
We'll help you get your story out!
http://www.deangroupmedia.com

Return to posts index

Richard Lee
on Oct 1, 2012 at 8:54:13 pm

I'd be interested to know if FCP6 is working OK on Mountain Lion?
Cheers

Rich

Return to posts index

Wilhelm Conradie
on Nov 4, 2012 at 9:56:43 am

Hi all

So I never upgraded my OS since 10.5 and now I got a shiny new fresh install of Mountain Lion on my system. I'm trying to also do a fresh install of FCS2 and then upgrade to my usual FCS3, but can't run the installer, because of the .mpkg issue. Everyone suggests installing Rosetta from you Snow Leopard disc, but I don't have a disc to do this.

Any ideas on how to install this?

It's pretty urgent.

Kind regards

Wilhelm

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2018 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]