FORUMS: list search recent posts

render changing textup subtitle position

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro Legacy

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Angela Anderson
render changing textup subtitle position
on Aug 26, 2012 at 4:45:34 pm

Hello kind creative cowers,
I have a strange problem. I´m working on the initial edit of a 3 screen video installation, and i just moved all of my subtitles from boris to textup after learning (too late) that i could not extract a text file for translation from boris titles (ugh).

i had to tweak the positioning of these titles to match the position of the boris titles - we´re working on a custom sized canvas (v-position of the text and vertical position of the entire frame). Needless to say, the moment I render the titles to watch the video, they change position, moving down significantly. What´s going on here? faulty plug-in?

any suggestions welcome!

(ps - sorry no detailed system specs now, but we´re working in fcp 7.0.3 on an imac)

Return to posts index

Miriam Lefkowitz
Re: render changing textup subtitle position
on Aug 26, 2012 at 8:27:35 pm

Can you reposition the textup credits so the render moves them to the right place?

Return to posts index

Andreas Kiel
on Aug 27, 2012 at 9:42:27 am

Angela,

Saw your post by chance.
I tried it with a 1080x1920 project. And you're right the titles move vertically. The crazy thing is that while rendering FCP resets the values of vertical position values randomly.
A workaround is not to use the generators vertical offset values but the motion offsets. This will keep them in place.

Andreas

Spherico
http://www.spherico.com/filmtools

Return to posts index

Angela Anderson
on Aug 27, 2012 at 3:29:52 pm

Hi Andreas,
Great - thanks for the workaround tip! I will do this. Good that you responded because I'm about to embark on another section of the video and can now go ahead with textup - thanks! greetings from bayern!

Return to posts index

Angela Anderson
on Aug 27, 2012 at 3:36:18 pm

Ah, but now a question - is there any way to change the v position of the generator in all of the clips at the same time? or will I have to go through and do this manually?

Return to posts index

Andreas Kiel
on Aug 27, 2012 at 3:43:02 pm

You got good luck, as I just checked my mail.

Copy one modified generator, then select all the others and then "paste attributes - motion".

-Andreas

Spherico

Return to posts index

Angela Anderson
on Aug 28, 2012 at 7:47:17 am

hey andreas,
thanks for the reply! i should have been more specific - is there any way to set the v-position in the generator back to 0 for all of my clips (motion attributes are simple this way, but settings of the generator attributes seem like they have to be changed manually).

oh, and i just downloaded titleexchange to see how the xml conversion works - it was a beautiful moment when i saw all of the subtitles appear before my eyes as a txt file - wonderful!

Return to posts index

Andreas Kiel
on Aug 28, 2012 at 10:50:48 am

Angela,

There are two options.

First one:
Use TitleExchange Pro and do an FCP XML to FCP XML conversion.
With the free version it is limited to 50 titles. And even though TEP is a quite mighty app you may lose some of your special setting if subtitles do differ in color.

Next one:
Use a text editor(TextWrangler).It's quite simple.
Export XML.
Open the XML in the text editor.
Search for <parameterid>vertoffset</parameterid>
Step thru the found items and replace the "value".

Import the resulting XML into FCP. This sounds like a tedious work but it's much faster compared to FCP.

If your subs do have all the same vertical offset it's kind a snip of the fingers.
Within the text editor copy the whole "block" and use the "Find & Replace". In the "Replace" entry change the value as described above. Then press "Replace all".

-Andreas

Spherico

Return to posts index

Angela Anderson
on Aug 28, 2012 at 11:20:42 am

THANK YOU!!! :)

Return to posts index

Angela Anderson
on Aug 28, 2012 at 11:51:55 am

You know, I just followed your instructions - which seem very logical - but when i import the xml back into fcp, while it has changed the v-offset to 0, there is now an extra line between all of the subtitles with two lines...hmm...

Return to posts index

Andreas Kiel
on Aug 28, 2012 at 12:29:24 pm

Angela,

What version of FCP are you using?

You can also send me an email with your phone number and we can solve that for sure within a few minutes. I'm in Germany as well.

-Andreas

Spherico

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2018 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]