FORUMS: list search recent posts

Exporting a long sequence to burn to DVD (FCP7/ Compressor/DVDsp)

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro Legacy

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Sarah Cowhey
Exporting a long sequence to burn to DVD (FCP7/ Compressor/DVDsp)
on Aug 24, 2012 at 11:39:31 am

Hi There

Ok a bit of background:

I shot a wedding on my Canon 60D DSLR, it shot h264 (as they all do) and so i transcoded to prores 422 to edit with in FCP7.

The problem :

The whole day turned into about 4 hours of footage which i have broken up into single videos. The problem is that the Wedding ceremony itself is almost 2.5 hours long.

I need this to go to a DVD. I have burnt the other videos to a single layer disc using DVDsp (through compressor at H264 6.75MBPS) but this will obviously need to go to a dual layer disc.

I tried "sending to compressor" (compressor 3 btw) then exporting it using the following preset:

Name: H.264 6.75Mbps
Description: For HD DVD. Fits up to 90 minutes of video with Dolby Digital audio at 192 Kbps on a DVD-5
File Extension: mov
Frame sync rate: 2 seconds
Video Encoder
Format: QT
Width and Height: Automatic
Pixel aspect ratio: default
Crop: None
Frame rate: (100% of source)
Frame Controls: Automatic
Codec Type: H.264
Multi-pass: On, frame reorder: On
Pixel depth: 32
Spatial quality: 50
Min. Spatial quality: 50
Temporal quality: 50
Min. temporal quality: 50
Data rate: 6.75 (Mbps)
Audio Encoder
16-bit Integer (Big Endian), Stereo (L R), 48.000 kHz

It took three days and unfortunately (and you can laugh here) when I went back to double check the video i noticed a mistake - sound went out of sync without me noticing as ive been pulling all nighters to finish this) so im back to exporting it again.

in the meantime ive had to change machines...Now I am not using the work computers anymore so I have FCP 7 , but i now have compressor 4. These apps dont talk to each other.

Right now im trying to export it straight from FCP 7 with the settings : H264, restrict to 7000kbps (trying to mimic the compressor 3 settings) but i can already tell im not going to get what i want (just a bad feeling it cant be that easy!)

Can someone tell me how best to export this 2.5 hour long video and get it onto a dvd (dual or otherwise) so that I can put this project to bed?

and did i use the right settings with the other videos? they dont look as good as they could to me....

I am well used to using FCP 7 etc but this is my first time needing to burn DSLR footage to DVD - i usually just work on online videos. And its driving me insane.

I have fcp 7 and compressor 3 on my home computer but for some reason compressor keeps asking for a serial number as its saying my one is invalid and ive tried fixing it by putting the proapps files into the application support folder etc etc so ive given up on that being my fix...

thanks

Return to posts index

Rafael Amador
Re: Exporting a long sequence to burn to DVD (FCP7/ Compressor/DVDsp)
on Aug 24, 2012 at 12:05:12 pm

[Sarah Cowhey] "I tried "sending to compressor" (compressor 3 btw) then exporting it using the following preset:

Name: H.264 6.75Mbps"

DVDs are only MPEG-2, no MP4/H264.
MP4/H264 are for Bluray discs.
Export a self contained prores movie from FC and import to Compressor.
Then use the " DVD Best Quality 90 minutes" preset.
that will work for a 3 hours clip on a Dual-layer disc.
As your movie is 2.5 hours, you can increase a bit the default data-rate.

[Sarah Cowhey] "Audio Encoder
16-bit Integer (Big Endian), Stereo (L R), 48.000 kHz"

Use Dolby audio at 192mbps.
In the Inspector > Preprocesing > Compression Preset, set NONE.
rafael

http://www.nagavideo.com

Return to posts index

Shane Ross
on Aug 24, 2012 at 2:38:42 pm

What you were making was an HD DVD...a format that lost to BluRay. Your clients wouldn't be able to play that back unless they had a Toshiba HD DVD player, or a Mac with a Superdrive.

You want to make a NORMAL DVD...and for that you can use the DVD High Quality 150min preset. That works for 2.5 hour timelines.

Shane
Little Frog Post
Read my blog, Little Frog in High Def

Return to posts index

Sarah Cowhey
on Aug 24, 2012 at 11:39:56 pm

Hey - thanks for the replies

Im stuck using compressor 4 and the only dcd option in that is mpeg 2 for dvd

Can i use this ?

To export the ceremony using current settings will take 17 hours - can i export as mpeg 2 straight from fcp?

Return to posts index

Trish Frampton
on Aug 5, 2014 at 4:48:36 pm

Hi Shane,

I just came across your post and hoping you can help as I'm not very tech-savvy.

I have a wedding video on a 32 GM memory stick, using about 13 GM of space and just over 2 hours. How can I burn this onto a DVD for viewing in DVD players?

I would really appreciate your advice.
Thanks!

Return to posts index

Damian Ds
on Aug 20, 2014 at 6:43:11 am

Hi Trish, Did you solve your problem about how to make a movie dvd? I am on the learning path too but have already got the basics down.

I can say it is very complicated and frustrating, but it does not have to be if you just want a simple movie dvd.

I would be pleased to help but you might have got it working by now.

Cheers, Damian

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2018 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]