FORUMS: list search recent posts

FCP 7 giving a very low quality export video

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro Legacy

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Clem Hennessy
FCP 7 giving a very low quality export video
on Aug 23, 2012 at 12:09:17 pm

Hi all,

I am working with FCP7 and am going a little crazy trying to export a high quality video. I have Googled and read forum after forum but can't seem to resolve the issue.

Workflow:

Shot with a PD170, then captured from the tape. The quality is fine going into FCP, its after export that there is very noticeable quality loss especially when I export using the "Command E" shortcut. If I export via the Quicktime conversion option the quality is a bit better but still not 100%...

If anybody can assist please let me know what information you require from me.

Any help with this would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks again

Clem

Return to posts index

Shane Ross
Re: FCP 7 giving a very low quality export video
on Aug 23, 2012 at 1:15:46 pm

If you export as a QuickTime movie, self contained, not recompressed, using the sequence settings, you are exporting a full quality file. An exact digital duplicate from what you have in the timeline.

The issue might be that your footage is interlaced, and computer displays don't like interlaced footage.

What will be the ultimate final destination for this video? DVD? Web? Back to tape?

Shane
Little Frog Post
Read my blog, Little Frog in High Def

Return to posts index

Clem Hennessy
on Aug 23, 2012 at 1:28:38 pm

Hi Shane,

Wow, thanks for the quick response. I generally work with interlaced footage but did a test with progressive footage and still had quality loss. The final destination is for DVD (Pal) The thing is when its played back on a TV it still has the quality loss be it interlaced or progressive. As far as the TV set goes, I played back the footage directly via USB (Shot with EX3) and the definition and quality far out-shines the product from FCP.

I do export as a QuickTime self contained movie with current settings which is why I'm stumped.

Clem

Return to posts index

Bret Williams
on Aug 23, 2012 at 4:47:38 pm

You're editing DVCam. Check this box in Quicktime Players settings so it shows full quality in QuickTime.

Return to posts index

Clem Hennessy
on Aug 25, 2012 at 6:56:06 am

Howdie,

Thanks for the reply Bret. All is set in QuickTime. The quality loss is visible on my machine as well as on the telly played back on a DVD.

Is it possible that my FCP may have some sort of bug? Its all I can think of as I have gone through every possible setting (to the best of my knowledge) with no improvement...

Thanks

Clem

Return to posts index

Steve Eisen
on Aug 23, 2012 at 7:26:06 pm

[Clem Hennessy] "As far as the TV set goes, I played back the footage directly via USB (Shot with EX3) and the definition and quality far out-shines the product from FCP"

Don't expect DVCAM footage to look as good as EX3 footage (XDCAM HD).

Steve Eisen
Eisen Video Productions
Vice President
Chicago Creative Pro Users Group

Return to posts index

Clem Hennessy
on Aug 25, 2012 at 5:44:50 am

Hi,

No doubt about that. I am not comparing the footage. I used different cameras and shooting formats to test with. The problem is that what comes out of FCP is of a lower quality to what goes in...

Return to posts index

Clem Hennessy
on Aug 23, 2012 at 2:28:45 pm

Hi Shane,

Wow, thanks for the quick response. I generally work with interlaced footage but did a test with progressive footage and still had quality loss. The final destination is for DVD (Pal) The thing is when its played back on a TV it still has the quality loss be it interlaced or progressive. As far as the TV set goes, I played back the footage directly via USB (Shot with EX3) and the definition and quality far outshines the product from FCP.

I do export as a QuickTime self contained movie with current settings which is why I'm stumped.

Clem

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2018 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]