FORUMS: list search recent posts

Reccomendations for third party transcode software for HDSLR footage?

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro Legacy

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Nick Ravich
Reccomendations for third party transcode software for HDSLR footage?
on Aug 21, 2012 at 9:21:45 pm

Folks-

Got a big, on-going Canon HDSLR doc project in FCP7 and have gotten increasingly fed up with Log & Transfer tool. Initial attractions were time code and batch re-naming. But given the host of time-consuming tech issues I've had with Canon HDSLR footage and L&T over the last 2 years - partially transcoded files; necessity of hacking for T2i & T3i generated footage (and with latest 5D iii friendly EOS Plug-in old plist hack doesn't seem possible); L&T's overall touchiness - I want it out of my post life for good. I've had particular difficulty with 5Diii files and L&T; takes 2-3 minutes to actually load volume into the L&T browser.

So the alternative means using some kind of third party transcoder. I'm a big fan of MPEG Streamclip and much less so Compressor (over complicated interface), but still really want to generate time code, and less importantly, batch re-name. Wondering what other folks like? Editor friend reccomended I look into 5DtoRGB (Rarevision.)

Thanks, Nick.

Return to posts index

Mike Noneofyourbusiness
Re: Reccomendations for third party transcode software for HDSLR footage?
on Aug 21, 2012 at 10:11:45 pm

Hey,

I used 5D to RGB when working on my own system, it's pretty good, I'd recommend it.

When I work at a particular production house though I use a program called Grinder, I believe it is by magic bullet. I'm not sure if this costs to get a hold of or not but it works pretty well and looks professional if you have clients peering over your shoulder where as 5D to RGB I run a terminal script to get it to batch transcode and it looks a little amateur I think.

Return to posts index

Shane Ross
on Aug 21, 2012 at 11:16:59 pm

I'd go with Grinder or Compressor. Because while 5DtoRGB is good, it is GLACIAL! Slow as molasses in January. It makes really good looking files, but takes a long time to do so. A LONG TIME.

If you have the time, great. If not, look at Grinder. It will throw a processor on each file...so if you 8 processors, it...well...does 4 at a time. That's what I got. So maybe TWO processors on one clip.
That makes it fast.

Shane
Little Frog Post
Read my blog, Little Frog in High Def

Return to posts index

Bouke Vahl
on Aug 22, 2012 at 9:18:22 am

and there is this:
http://www.videotoolshed.com/product/15/offloader/3
(yeah, self promotion.)

For your workflow, (besides the offloading, it can also do a straight transcode) it's basically a QT export, but it retains timecode.
(even if they are from the THM files)
You can set it up to use multiple exports at the same time, to max out the processor capacity as far as you want.
And, the windows version is free!

Now for other transcoders (you might want to look as Avanti if you have a couple of spare hours), that do not retain timecode:

QTchange to the rescue. As you know it can write TC for cams that write THM files (mind you, the 60D does that as well, but they are buried inside the QT!),
but you can also use QTchange to save the TC attributes.
These are small (text) files containing the original tc / reel info.
If you let those files travel with the transcoded files (just copy them in your output folder), you can then use QTchange to (batch) add the TC to the new files.

hth,

Bouke

http://www.videotoolshed.com/
smart tools for video pros

Return to posts index

Nick Ravich
on Aug 22, 2012 at 2:00:58 pm

Thanks for the responses everyone.
Didn't realize 5DtoRGB was so slow.
Been trying to download the free "Lite" version but haven't been able to get a workable link.
Will definitely look into Grinder and Offloader.
Nick.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2018 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]