FORUMS: list search recent posts

FCP 6.0.6 constantly crashing and cannot be rebooted after crash

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro Legacy

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Wilmar Luna
FCP 6.0.6 constantly crashing and cannot be rebooted after crash
on Aug 20, 2012 at 2:17:17 pm

Hi guys,

Has anyone run into a problem where you get the rainbow wheel of death in FCP and you have to force quit the application; but when you force quit the application never fully closes down and is unable to be opened again because the Mac thinks its already open?

Well that's the problem I'm having now and it's really messing up my workflow. The company I work for has very outdated machines but I was able to get the specs.

Processor: 2 x 2.8 GHZ Quad-Core Intel Xeon
Memory 4 GB 800 MHz DDR2 FB-DIMM
Video card: NVIDIA GeForce 8800 GT

I'm using 2 1TB G-Drives for tape capture on Firewire 800, all drives have been cleaned out to not be at max capacity.

The internal hard drive is a RAID stripe of 465.44GB (only 267.88 used)

If I start a tape capture or sometimes in the middle of editing a program FCP will crash and I have to kill the process in activity monitor. Unfortunately, after killing the process FCP does not fully close down and I'm forced to reboot the mac in order to go back to normal operations.

We're using a Sony J30 tape deck to ingest files, but this can happen after MPEG Streamclipping a DVD for ingest as well. Anyone have any ideas of how I can deal with this crashing without reformatting the computer? I wouldn't mind a reformat, but this is a company Mac and it's a real PITA.

Any ideas what I can do?

(Yes we do have an IT department, but it's more likely they'll break the machine before they fix it. Long story.)

Return to posts index

Ben Edwards
Re: FCP 6.0.6 constantly crashing and cannot be rebooted after crash
on Aug 20, 2012 at 4:20:45 pm

Kind off. You should try nuking your preferences but before this try setting up a new user and see if you still have the same problem. If the new user works it could well be your preferences. you can use http://www.digitalrebellion.com/prefman/ to remove preferences.

When I has a simeler problem I tried the pref remover and it did not help. I ended up creating a new user and using it instead.

Ben

--
Ben Edwards - Freelance Picture Editor
http://www.funkytwig.com

i5 550, Windows 7 / Mac Lion, Nvida 550 Ti, 8GB Mem

Return to posts index

Wilmar Luna
Re: FCP 6.0.6 constantly crashing and cannot be rebooted after crash
on Aug 22, 2012 at 1:58:20 pm

I did wipe the preferences once before, but I didn't use digital rebellions prefman. I may have to try that next, I'm hesitant to try to create a new user as IT frowns upon that but we'll see if that's doable.

I seem to be able to recreate the crash by exporting something in compressor, closing out of compressor, then going back into FCP, creating a new project, and begin a new tape capture.

Didn't have that problem before, hopefully this machine isn't dying on me.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]