FORUMS: list search recent posts

Problems transcoding from Canon c300

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro Legacy

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Jono Hargrave
Problems transcoding from Canon c300
on Aug 19, 2012 at 1:55:17 pm

This isn't the usual questions for transcoding c300 footage - I know about downloading the Plugin etc - I have successfully transcoded footage before from the c300.

This time, my DoP shot using 1920x1080 24fps. This is causing a problem for FCP, when I go to Log & Transfer this message appears in the right-hand window:

Clips recorded using the following video configurations cannot be used in this environment.

50 Mbps (CBR, 4:2:2), 1920x1080, 24.00P
50 Mbps (CBR, 4:2:2), 1280x720, 24.00P

On the Canon website, it says if using these settings, you can't use Native, but other ProRes 422 should be fine. I've tried every other ProRes setting, and none of them work.

Perhaps there's a simple solution that I'm missing, but I'm really stuck. Any ideas?

Thanks

Return to posts index

Shane Ross
Re: Problems transcoding from Canon c300
on Aug 19, 2012 at 10:25:28 pm

Did they shoot 24fps straight? Not 23.98? That might be the issue.

Shane
Little Frog Post
Read my blog, Little Frog in High Def

Return to posts index

Jono Hargrave
on Aug 19, 2012 at 11:18:02 pm

Hi Shane,

Thanks for the response.

Yes, they did shoot 24fps straight.

Do you know how to solve the problem?

Return to posts index

Shane Ross
on Aug 19, 2012 at 11:31:57 pm

Sorry, I don't. Never had to deal with that frame rate. Why did they shoot 24fps straight? Only film projected in a theater runs at that rate. 24fps on TV/DVD/BluRay is 23.98. The WEB might do 24fps.

Sorry

Shane
Little Frog Post
Read my blog, Little Frog in High Def

Return to posts index

Ryan Holmes
on Aug 20, 2012 at 1:16:06 pm

Instead of FCP Log&Capture try using the Canon XF utility app. That will allow you to see your clips and output them as a self contained MXF file (i.e. you don't need the XML information on the card any longer) that you can then transcode and retime to 23.98 so FCP use it.

Ryan Holmes
http://www.ryanholmes.me
vimeo.com/ryanholmes

Return to posts index

Jamal simmons
on Apr 5, 2013 at 2:34:20 pm

Canon XF utility app needs a serial number. why is that, when everybody who uses the footage wont be a C300 owner. I need the utility but i dont own the camera im just editing it. still no answers?

http://www.frame88.com
Audio Video Photography
jamal@frame88.com

Return to posts index

Daniel Sametz
on Apr 5, 2013 at 3:53:21 pm

Try the Rental House or the owner of the camera and ask for the serial number. That's what we did the other day. Good luck. :)

Return to posts index

Vivek Jaiswal
on Mar 8, 2014 at 4:39:34 pm

Hi Ryan,

This is with the reference with your reply to this thread. I am facing the same problem of footage shot in C300 with 24.00p fps and finding it difficult to bring it to FCP 7. I tried using Canon XF Utility to recreate the MXF files as you suggested but it didn't work out. Please suggest if there is another way to solve this issue.

Thanks in advance!!

Return to posts index

Ryan Holmes
on Mar 9, 2014 at 4:55:04 pm

[Vivek Jaiswal] " I tried using Canon XF Utility to recreate the MXF files as you suggested but it didn't work out. Please suggest if there is another way to solve this issue."

Once you create the stand alone MXF files you'll need to transcode those to something FCP 7 can see (like ProRes). MPEG Streamclip, Compressor may work....There may be a MXF plugin for FCP...but I haven't used FCP in several years so I'm not familiar with that part of the market.

Another option is to download the trial version of Adobe Creative Cloud and use Prelude or Premiere to transcode the Canon MXF files to ProRes. Adobe's products can see the MXF files natively. Do your transcode there and get into FCP.

Ryan Holmes
http://www.ryanholmes.me
@CutColorPost

Return to posts index

Guillaume Barreau
on Aug 29, 2014 at 11:18:45 pm

I had the same problem and from that link

http://gdlp01.c-wss.com/gds/7/0300003887/02/XFPLUGIN-FCP_12_M_EN.pdf

found that the reason was that the Canon XF Mpeg2 Decoder was not installed. I read somewhere else that this could be solved by installing the Canon XF utility which I did.

And then it worked.

Guillaume

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2018 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]