FORUMS: list search recent posts

Media managing

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro Legacy

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
tom bailey
Media managing
on Aug 18, 2012 at 9:08:33 pm

Hi,

I'm editing a short film and have in the course of my work saved the project as a new project file several times at different stages. Each project still corresponds to the same captured media.
I'm now moving to the online stage which involves re-transcoding the media from Pro res 422 to 4444. For which I need to make more space on my drive.

I have deleted some old sequences and want to get rid of the old project files and their corresponding files but without damaging the final project file.

I guess I should use media manager to do this, or should I use find?
I had considered copying all the final project and corresponding media and then deleting all the old stuff but I don't really have enough space anywhere to do this.

Whats the best and safest way to get rid of redundant media and render files from these old projects?

Thank you in advance.

Bailey.

(FCP 7.0)

Return to posts index

Shane Ross
Re: Media managing
on Aug 19, 2012 at 12:27:52 am

[tom bailey] "I'm now moving to the online stage which involves re-transcoding the media from Pro res 422 to 4444"

Why are you doing that? What's it going to get you? If you go to 4444, it's best to do that from the source footage. Doing that from already compressed footage gains you nothing. In fact, many types of source footage don't gain anything by going to 4444. Unless it is RED, Alexa, F3...very high end stuff. What is your shooting format?

Shane
Little Frog Post
Read my blog, Little Frog in High Def

Return to posts index

Steve Eisen
on Aug 19, 2012 at 1:19:10 am

[tom bailey] "I have deleted some old sequences and want to get rid of the old project files"

Why? These do not take up much space. Deleting these files will guarantee you will need to go back to them at some time.

Hard drives are coming down in price. If this project is important to you, you will invest in hard drives rather than trashing files to save space.

Steve Eisen
Eisen Video Productions
Vice President
Chicago Creative Pro Users Group

Return to posts index

tom bailey
on Aug 24, 2012 at 3:48:53 pm

Thanks for the response's. Sorry for the delay in mine.

To clarify:
Shane- I am re-transcoding from source footage to 4444. We shot on Red One MX.

Steve- I have taken your advice and just bought another hard drive to play it safe.
But to clarify, what I'm trying to avoid is a slow and messy project. The Project files I want to delete are duplicates, I had copied the project to try various project settings, so I would have a backup incase what I was trying went wrong. But hadn't gone back and deleted the old duplicate after moving on and still having all the sequences and media files in the newer duplicate.

Generally these duplicates were fairly unnecessary in the first place and I just don't want to have a messy and confusing capture scratch/ other FCP documents. Makes it harder to navigate!

But basically I've quit all that, and am keeping it all to play safe. But I was concerned that when I have copied over a project, most of the files in the capture scratch have a "-v" on the end, there are also some of these in the capture scratch for a project that was recovered after FCP crashed.

Could you tell me what this "-v" means?
If they're something to be concerned about?
and maybe how to stop it happening?

Many thanks,
Bailey.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2018 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]