FORUMS: list search recent posts

Wave distortions on the dvd I burn

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro Legacy

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
ilya zaslavsky
Wave distortions on the dvd I burn
on Aug 18, 2012 at 5:32:01 am

Hi

I have finalized a short film that I want to send to film festivals. I follow the manual from the film school, and burn a dvd. When I look at one particular notebook through an hdmi on a tv screen (just to test the dvd), there are two moments in the film which for some unexplicable reason show quick distortion across the screen as a horizontal wave than quickly goes from top to bottom. On Mac (where I did this film in Final Cut Pro 7) it does not have any distortions when I play the dvd. I want to send a clean dvd version. How can I know that it does not have distortions: is it a notebook problem, or there is some thing happening wrong during the burning of the dvd. I burn first play dvd according to instructions: through compressor, than I choose standard layout 1220x800. Should I do something about settings? or there is some of other universal way that will guarantee that dvd is compatible to play clearly on people's computers and dvd players?

Return to posts index

Jerry Hofmann
Re: Wave distortions on the dvd I burn
on Aug 18, 2012 at 4:27:00 pm

How did you compress the video for the DVD? How long is the project? Try exporting a self contained QT movie using current settings, and open that in Compressor for the encoding.

Jerry

Apple Certified Trainer, Producer, Writer, Director Editor, Gun for Hire and other things. I ski. My Blog: http://blogs.creativecow.net/Jerry-Hofmann

Current DVD:
http://store.creativecow.net/p/81/jerry_hofmanns_final_cut_system_setup

8-Core 3.0 Intel Mac Pro, Dual 2 gig G5, AJA Kona SD, AJA Kona 2, Huge Systems Array UL3D, AJA Io HD, 17" MBP, Matrox MXO2 with MAX - Cinema Displays I have a 22" that I paid 4k for still working. G4 with Kona SD card, and SCSI card.

Return to posts index

ilya zaslavsky
on Aug 18, 2012 at 8:18:53 pm

Hi,

thanks for the response.

I compress dvd by first rendering all in the sequence: Sequence>Render All > Both
then I control click on the sequence and send it to compressor: Send To > Compressor
When Compressor opens I click in the Window drop down menu at the top of the
screen and choose Layouts > Standard 1280x800.
In the Settings Window, I click on the Settings Tab. I then open the folder Apple > DVD > DVD: Best Quality 90 Minutes. II then highlight both of them and drag them into the Batch Window where it says Drag Settings and Destination Here.
I then Control+Click the word SOURCE and choose Destination > Other. And I choose a folder that I created there.
After I compress it and get two files on the hard drive I then send them to DVD Studio Pro where I create a First Play DVD on DVD-R blank disc. i first simulate (no waves shown in simulation!) then press Build and then Format.

The film is 21 minutes long.

I am not entirely sure what do you mean by self contained Quick Time movie? By settings you mean that I should not change anything in Final Cut? but I have not. I just render all, that's all. And by opening in the compressor for the encoding, where is that option?

I looked at a youtube video that shows that someone just does a dvd from final cut directly to dvd. Do you think that for festivals I should still better to go through compressor and DVD studio? I guess that's the standard best quality way? Sorry if too many questions, I am just an amateur but the film that we did is high quality and it would be a pity to impact that adversely at this last stage.

Return to posts index

Steve Eisen
on Aug 18, 2012 at 9:09:33 pm

The steps Jerry is referring to are in the FCP manual. What you want to do is select File/Export/QuickTime Movie. Check self-contained movie. This will create a file base movie in the codec which you edited. Open up Compressor and drop that file into Compressor. Select a preset for DVD. 60 minute with a CBR of 7 is perfect. Also select an AC3 file for your audio. As I said, this is in the manual.

This gives you more control over Send to Compressor feature.

Steve Eisen
Eisen Video Productions
Vice President
Chicago Creative Pro Users Group

Return to posts index

Rafael Amador
on Aug 19, 2012 at 2:55:32 am

[ilya zaslavsky] "there are two moments in the film which for some unexplicable reason show quick distortion across the screen as a horizontal wave than quickly goes from top to bottom. "
If this happens always in the same two scenes, could be a problem with the film or with the media (disc).
I would start by trying another brand and playing in different devices.
If the problem remains, i would have a look to the film/compression.

[ilya zaslavsky] "I compress dvd by first rendering all in the sequence: Sequence>Render All > Both
then I control click on the sequence and send it to compressor: Send To > Compressor"

If your sequence is fully rendered andplay well in FC's canvas (set it at 100%), DONT SEND TO COMPRESSOR will duplicate the processing time).
Export a QT movie and import that to Compressor.

[ilya zaslavsky] "Do you think that for festivals I should still better to go through compressor and DVD studio? I guess that's the standard best quality way? "
is not about quality, but about control.
With Compressor/DVDSTP you have more options and you can tweak parameters to optimize compression.
rafael

http://www.nagavideo.com

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]