FORUMS: list search recent posts

Instructions/Workflow for creating QT .mov files from tape

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro Legacy

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Ricky Barrow
Instructions/Workflow for creating QT .mov files from tape
on Aug 17, 2012 at 1:11:07 pm

I work on Windows Avid MC. I frequently get QT .mov files from shooters working with FCP. From one source only, I get QT files of which about half work and half do not. All files seem to be identical but I can tell in advance those that will not work because in explorer, there is no length associated with the file and sure enough those are the files that QT Player says it cannot recognize or it is not a mov type - things of this nature. Is this corrupt metadata? How can I instruct this particular person in giving me these files?

His workflow is to open FCP, capture/digitize/ingest from tape (720p 60fps (59.94)) and create ProRes 422 (HQ) .mov files in realtime. on occasion, a file in QT Movie Inspector will show 59.84 fps and I have a sync problem with these when in Avid. I could at least correct this file by using Cinema Tools on Mac. All this leads me to suspect FCP is to blame, but I am hesitant to fault something I am unfamiliar with, so it must be his workflow, but is there another way? I am at my wits end and really need help and will try anything on his end or mine to solve this issue. Please, any and all ideas are welcomed.

Ricky

Return to posts index

Rafael Amador
Re: Instructions/Workflow for creating QT .mov files from tape
on Aug 17, 2012 at 1:33:52 pm

That may be a due to low performance of the system where tapes are captured.
In some cases Fc create some empty QT files beside the file with the full movie.
Tell them to check the files before to send them to you.
rafael

http://www.nagavideo.com

Return to posts index

Dave LaRonde
on Aug 18, 2012 at 8:41:59 pm

Your FCP guy COULD download the DNxHD codec from Avid, which would then sidestep the transcoding issue entirely.

Dave LaRonde
Sr. Promotion Producer
KCRG-TV (ABC) Cedar Rapids, IA

Return to posts index

Ricky Barrow
on Aug 20, 2012 at 11:49:39 am

This is true about the DNxHD codec, but if QT Player on my computer will not even recognize the file, then it wouldn't matter on the codec, it is a corrupt file, thus the best explanation so far is that his system is not powerful enough to handle real-time capturing to a file. The only time I have received files from him without error was when using ProRes 422 (LT) which might further explain that his system isn't powerful enough to process higher res files in real time. I appreciate any feedback as I am still looking for answers. Thanks!

Ricky

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]