Batch Capture from a Z7 video recording unit (rather than tape) - FCP6

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro Legacy

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Trevor Cottam
Batch Capture from a Z7 video recording unit (rather than tape) - FCP6
on Aug 17, 2012 at 11:34:38 am

Hi

I hope someone can help me!

Is there any way to 'batch capture' from a Z7 Video Recording Unit (rather than tape) - I'm using Final Cut Pro 6?

I look forward to hearing from you!

Trevor

Return to posts index

Ben Edwards
Re: Batch Capture from a Z7 video recording unit (rather than tape) - FCP6
on Aug 17, 2012 at 1:27:03 pm

Do you mean batch capture or record from the camera straight to hard disk. If the latter have you tried putting the Z7 in camera mode, connecting firewire and trying to do a capture through FCP.

--
Ben Edwards - Freelance Picture Editor
http://www.funkytwig.com

i5 550, Windows 7 / Mac Lion, Nvida 550 Ti, 8GB Mem

Return to posts index

Rafael Amador
on Aug 17, 2012 at 1:38:12 pm

As Ben say.
Put the camera in VTR mode. Will work like a basic video desk.
BTW, if can use a desk, the best.
Reserve the camera for filming. Using it as a player will fried the video heads more than when shooting.
rafael

http://www.nagavideo.com

Return to posts index

Trevor Cottam
on Aug 17, 2012 at 1:50:57 pm

Thanks Guys

I did mean 'batch capture' rather than recording straight from the camera to disk.

Unfortunately, the firewire socket on the camera is not available when the Video Recording Unit is fixed on the back of a Z7.

Any other ideas?

Return to posts index

Ben Edwards
on Aug 17, 2012 at 1:59:47 pm

OK, I think you need to give more detail. What recording unit are you use/what are you recording onto and in what format. If you are shooting to cards/disk you would not use the camera to ingest/transfer footage. Give as much detail as impossible, the more you give the easier it is for people to help.

Batch Capture refers to first logging the tapes then capturing all the logged clips. Some people call capturing a whole tape Batch Capture. IMHO You can only Batch Capture from tape.

--

Return to posts index

Trevor Cottam
on Aug 17, 2012 at 2:40:04 pm

Hi Ben

Thanks!

It's true batch capture - logging the tapes, importing the batch capture text list and then batch capturing the footage as logged.

I'm using:
Camera: Sony HVR-Z7E
Recording unit: Sony HVR-MRC1
Recorded footage: I'm usually recording DV CAM, SP as raw .dv format
Editing software: Final Cut Pro 6
Computer: Apple MacPro

I hope this helps!

TC

Return to posts index

Ben Edwards
on Aug 17, 2012 at 2:55:06 pm

OK, you need to elaborate on what you mean by

Is there any way to 'batch capture' from a Z7 Video Recording Unit (rather than tape)

--

Return to posts index

Trevor Cottam
on Aug 17, 2012 at 3:06:41 pm

Hi

Well, I would normally load the tape in a tape deck and 'Batch Capture' from there - FCP would recognise the deck and connect to it.

The only way to transfer the footage from the recording unit is via 'Log & Transfer' on FCP - which is in separate clips as per each start and stop recording when filming. But then the whole clip is transferred. Again, FCP recognises the unit when I 'Log & Transfer'.

But FCP doesn't recognise the Recording Unit if I try to 'batch Capture'

I wanted to see if I could batch capture just the footage as per my logging list, as I can do with a tape, but now from the Recording Unit.

Again, I hope this helps!

TC

Return to posts index

Ben Edwards
on Aug 17, 2012 at 3:32:40 pm

In FCP7 you can mark in/out points in Log and Transfer and change the clips names then do the whole card as a 'batch'. Not sure if you can create 2 clips/sub-clip from a single bit of card media using Log and Transfer.

--

Return to posts index

Dennis Leppell
on Aug 17, 2012 at 5:52:08 pm

I use this camera daily, along with FCP 6. Here's the deal.

When capturing from tape, you use Batch Capture, and connect the computer directly to the camera via firewire.

When capturing from card, you have options. First and foremost, you should backup the entire card onto a hard drive. Create a folder on the drive, and drag/drop ALL of the disk contents into that folder. Very important, so you can maintain file structure. You can use either a card reader, or mount the HVR-MRC1 (the video recording unit you are referring to) onto its docking unit (with battery), and connect that to the computer via firewire.

Now you are ready to import footage into FCP. Open log and transfer. mount the footage by clicking the add folder button in the upper left of the window, and select the Video folder that's inside the other folder you created.

Now here's the catch, and the root of your problems. FCP doesn't have adequate support of the MTS file type, particularly with those created by a Z7. Thus, you cannot preview the footage, nor set in/out points for each file. You MUST transfer the whole file. BUT, you do not have to transfer all the footage that was on the card. Pick and choose the files you will need, that closest correspond with your shot list, and add these to the queue. Since each shot has a unique name, you should be able to figure it out (the format is (reel_shot#_Year_Day_Time)

VERY IMPORTANTWhen you are done, you must eject the footage/volume. Select all and hit the eject button in the upper left corner. Hitting delete on your keyboard will delete all your original footage from your hard drive.

Good luck, and get cutting!

Return to posts index

Rafael Amador
on Aug 18, 2012 at 3:19:57 am

Bit of a mess for the terminology.
Capture is only for tape based formats. You use the Log&Capture function. There you build your own editing clips marking IN/OUT. Then you capture one by one or in a batch. You can also capture "on the fly" (Capture Now).

Transfer is for file-based formats that can not be directly edited in FC and they need to be converted or rewrapped as QT files. You use the Log&Transfer function. With L&T you just make a list of clips to be transferred, but you can't don't decide the IN/OUT of your clips. The clip have already been made in camera as individual files.

Take a look to Shane's tutorial on working in FC with tapeless formats:
http://library.creativecow.net/ross_shane/tapeless-workflow_fcp-7/1
rafael

http://www.nagavideo.com

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]