FORUMS: list search recent posts

FCP sync issue

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro Legacy

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Mike Noneofyourbusiness
FCP sync issue
on Aug 17, 2012 at 3:12:41 am

Hi,

I'm working on an iMac at a production house, I'm having sync issues only within FCP. If i export the video it comes out perfectly in sync. I have switched between the internal built-in speakers and an external audio device and it's the same either way. Occasionally it does play in sync and it's fine but majority of the time it is out of sync. I was wondering if anyone knew how I can fix this problem.

I have tried googling it but I keep finding pages that are not relevant to this issue.

It happens with prores 422 (HQ), H.264 and HDV 720. I checked audio rates and it happens even when everything is at 48kHz.

The issue is a massive hassel if I have to sync footage, as I have to export the clip to play it back to see if it is synced and this can waste a hell of a lot of time. Also it is frustrating for the producers to watch when they are checking my work.

If anyone has any help it would be so much appreciated. Thank you for reading this.

SPECS:
FCP 7.0
OS X 10.7.3
3.4 GHz Intel Core i7
16GB 1333 MHz DDR3
External Audio Device is: FastTrack Pro M-Audio

Return to posts index

Anna Ingenthron
Re: FCP sync issue
on Aug 17, 2012 at 11:49:43 pm

The h264 files will need to be converted to a prores codec before editing. I recommend you convert all video files into the same format before editing in FCP 7.

What format are your audio files? If they are mp3s, you will need to convert those as well to AIF or WAV.

Return to posts index

Mike Noneofyourbusiness
on Aug 21, 2012 at 10:07:35 pm

Thank you for the response Anna,

I did already know to convert H.264, but when I am using them it is normally just to switch out a title card at the end of a TVC so transcoding to Prores is a waste of time for a 5 min job. the syncing with H.264 isn't that much of an issue, but it is still out if I play the TVC back in FCP.

Generally I am working with Prores 422(HQ) or HDV 720 encoded files.

The audio files are mostly .WAV, or sometimes AIF

Thanks.

Return to posts index

Anna Ingenthron
on Aug 21, 2012 at 10:16:37 pm

I see. If it seems to be off by a consistent amount when playing through FCP, someone may have adjusted the frame offset. If you go to FCP > System Settings > Playback Control > Frame Offset you can adjust it manually and get the amount that matches your exports. I usually end up between 1 and 5 frames.

Return to posts index

Mike Noneofyourbusiness
on Aug 22, 2012 at 11:43:13 am

Thanks again Anna,

I'll check this out tomorrow when I go into that production house.

Thanks.

Return to posts index

Mike Noneofyourbusiness
on Aug 22, 2012 at 11:58:37 pm

Thank you so much Anna, that was the issue, it was set to 11 frames offset.

Thanks.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2018 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]