FORUMS: list search recent posts

Final Cut Pro Edit for Broadcast: Suggestions?

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro Legacy

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Josh Blackman
Final Cut Pro Edit for Broadcast: Suggestions?
on Aug 16, 2012 at 5:32:06 pm

Hi Everyone!

The 60 sec spec I just completed for our client was liked so much that they are asking me to cut a 30 sec spot that they want to air.

I have been editing strictly for web since I started back in 2005. I am hoping you guys could share with me whatever insight in terms of delivery that is protocol for broadcast.

They piece was shot with the Canon 5Dm2 which I transcoded the footage into Apple Prores 422.

Any help on what is the best procedure on exporting for this medium? I am assuming I will have to burn a DVD for them?

Any and all ideas are welcome and I thank you in advance for your willingness to help me out.

Return to posts index

Chris Tompkins
Re: Final Cut Pro Edit for Broadcast: Suggestions?
on Aug 16, 2012 at 6:03:27 pm

DVD - Don't think so.

You need to check with who is broadcasting and ask of their specs and requirements.

You most likely can deliver a HD file.
This is much preferred over renting a HD deck and creating a Tape Master for delivery.

But you gotta find out the specs required.

Chris Tompkins
Video Atlanta LLC

Return to posts index

Shane Ross
on Aug 16, 2012 at 6:08:04 pm

TV specifications call for a lot of technical knowhow. The video levels need to fall within a certain range, the audio as well. If you stray outside of those ranges even a little (like .1% even), they will kick it back.

And then there are things like how do they want it delivered? DVDs aren't used for playback at broadcast networks unless they are smaller local stations or cable access. Typically they want tape, like BetaSP or Digibeta or HDCAM. And for that you need an IO card, and knowledge on how to use a deck.

If they want a digital! That's easier, but you still need to fall within video and audio specs. How do you know what they will accept? Ask them. ONly then can tell you what they need.

This isn't something we can really explain how to do in a forum. There are full professions that only deal with making sure shows meet broadcast specs. So, my suggestion is to hire someone who does this to prep your finished :30 spot for air. You will be what is known as the OFFLINE editor...or creative editor. And they are the ONLINE editor. You might need someone who knows audio too...if the specs on those are uber strict.

Little Frog Post
Read my blog, Little Frog in High Def

Return to posts index

Anna Ingenthron
on Aug 22, 2012 at 12:07:12 am

In addition to the other suggestions, they may just have you export a quicktime .mov for them to keep and traffic later. If you give them the prores 422 export digitally, they should be able to traffic it for broadcast later easily.

If they are having you deliver it directly, then yes, you will need to get media specs which will typically be HDCam SR or digibeta (if tape) or prores file (if digital FTP).

If they direct you to someone to get specs, that person will also be helpful if you have questions, just don't be afraid to ask so it's delivered correctly.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2018 All Rights Reserved