FORUMS: list search recent posts

Working with a very foreign codec

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro Legacy

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Paula Zimmerman
Working with a very foreign codec
on Aug 16, 2012 at 4:52:41 pm

Hi,

I am trying to integrate footage (company-approved) from a DVD into a project and I'm not sure what type of conversion I should use. I was able to rip the video from the DVD and it shows the codec as Apple ProIO vout v210 imdc. I've tried using it as it is in an NTSC 10-bit uncompressed sequence, and it breaks up when I play it back on an NTSC monitor. I also tried converting to h264 with MPEG Streamclip, same result.

I'm on a really old school system-Dual 2.5 Ghz PowerPC G5 4.5 GB DDR SDRAM, running OS 10.4.11 and FCP 5. There is an AJA IO LA here, too, if that helps. It's a big file-8.37 gb for 4:30. I've never seen this codec before. Do I have the right resources to do a conversion that will play solidly in an NTSC 10 bit uncompressed sequence (most of the program was done with Betacam SP) or where could I get them? This footage is vital to this program-it's manufacturing and product shots from a company that contributed product to show in the program and they may work with us on a distribution deal for the finished DVD, so the pressure is on for me to get this right. I'm hugely appreciative to anyone who has advice.

Kind Regards,

Paula Zimmerman

Return to posts index

Joe Barta IV
Re: Working with a very foreign codec
on Aug 16, 2012 at 6:22:24 pm

Try running it through Apple Compressor and covert it into an Apple ProRes format for editing in FCP.

Bars & Tone
SALUTE!

Return to posts index

Anna Ingenthron
on Aug 18, 2012 at 1:08:48 am

How did you originally rip the video from the DVD to get that codec?

If you still have the DVD, you could just drag it directly to MPEG Streamclip to export and choose your own prores codec for FCP. That way it's not double-transcoded.

Return to posts index

Rafael Amador
on Aug 18, 2012 at 1:46:16 pm

Hi Paula,
Its makes no sense to convert an MPEG-2 (8b/420) to 10b uncompressed/422.
Use Apple 8b uncompressed.

[Paula Zimmerman] "d it shows the codec as Apple ProIO vout v210 imdc."
That's not an Apple, but an AJA codec. i guess installed for the card.

[Paula Zimmerman] "Apple ProIO vout v210 imdc. I've tried using it as it is in an NTSC 10-bit uncompressed sequence, and it breaks up when I play it "
In the times of FC.5, Apple and AJA (and BlackMagic) used different 8/10b codecs.
later on (FC.6 ?), they unified the codecs.
If you are capturing with the AJA, makes sense to use that codec, if not, avoid it.

I suggest you to use the Apple 8b Unc (Apple 10b Unc would only make a bigger file.
Other good option, as long as you have no Prores, PhotoJPEG 100% quality).
rafael

http://www.nagavideo.com

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2018 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]