FORUMS: list search recent posts

Reconnect v recapture?

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro Legacy

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Mickey Power
Reconnect v recapture?
on Aug 16, 2012 at 6:35:04 am

I'm producing a new version of an old documentary I made back in pre-hard drive backup days.

As part of this work I would like to digitise all the old HDV tapes to include on a hard drive archive (along with newer projects for the same client).

Problem is, when I edited the 2006 project as an offline then an online I conformed this with only the only clips I needed to save hard drive space and these clips with independent of each other.

Can I digitise the tapes and batch-reconnect the 300 independent clips without having to reconnect each one individually? They all have the right tape numbers eg there are 10 x clips from tape 9.

Thanks

Mickey

Return to posts index

Bouke Vahl
Re: Reconnect v recapture?
on Aug 16, 2012 at 4:37:29 pm

Yes and no.
FCP relinks based on file name. If that matches, it uses timecode to find the actual point. If that fails, it uses relative start from the beginning.

So yes, it can be done if you media manage to clips to digitize, and have FCP ingest it as it wants it to be.

Now with HDV this is a nightmare, since the preroll will kill you.
(unless you have a very decent deck.)
Recapture entire tapes and relink will fail, you need to point at several clips (but if the originals were all long ingests the amount might not be that bad)

An alternative is my FCP relink application (there is a newer one here in beta you might need if the original fails.)

In any case, download the demo from my site just for the manual.
There is the entire story on how FCP does its relinking.)

Bouke

http://www.videotoolshed.com/
smart tools for video pros

Return to posts index

Mickey Power
on Aug 17, 2012 at 12:59:32 pm

Hi Bouke

Tried the demo, thanks.I've followed the instructions and tutorial and can't say I understand what's going on.

I've been experimenting with 14 clips made via the Media Manager years ago. I happened already to have digitised the 2 tapes for this last year for something else.

So, I need to reconnect the 14 clips which are all titled:

etc
to the source file
I could do this manually but there are over 200 clips in the total sequence. Hence something like your app is ideal.

In your tutorial folder, Consolidate, are the files all aliases? The ones the app made for me are all only 12kb so it seems they just point back to the main file.

Mickey

Return to posts index

Bouke Vahl
on Aug 20, 2012 at 11:46:42 am

Mickey,
Contact me direct and i'll set you up with a newer version.

Bouke

http://www.videotoolshed.com/
smart tools for video pros

Return to posts index

Rafael Amador
on Aug 16, 2012 at 4:47:30 pm

[Mickey Power] "Can I digitise the tapes and batch-reconnect the 300 independent clips without having to reconnect each one individually? They all have the right tape numbers eg there are 10 x clips from tape 9."
If FC recognize the files there is not problem to reconnect all at once.
rafae

http://www.nagavideo.com

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2018 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]