FORUMS: list search recent posts

Missing frames

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro Legacy

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Lucy Ferrier
Missing frames
on Aug 15, 2012 at 5:48:04 pm

Hi,

I've just encountered a confusing problem in FCP 7 and hope someone can help me!

We're working on a documentary that's fairly archive heavy, and we've just realised that a lot of the archive on our timeline is in its native format rather than Apple Pro Res 422 (we usually convert everything to Pro Res before using it), and it seems to be causing lots of crashes etc.

I compressed all of the original files using a droplet to convert to Pro Res, and thought it would be simple enough to copy the in points and durations from the clips on the timeline and drop them into the new Pro Res files (then copy over filters, motion etc). Sadly we've encountered a few problems.

We're working on a 25fps timeline, and the original clips were shot at 29.97fps (but we hadn't really encountered any problems before trying to replace with ProRes). The following things are happening:

• We use Cmd+C in the timecode box in the viewer, and instead of copying the timecode, it changes the number by a few frames.
  • We copy the duration from the original clip into the duration box of the newly converted clip and it replaces the last colon with a semicolon (e.g. 00:00:03:02 changes to 00:00:03;02), and when the clip is dragged to the timeline it's 2 frames shorter than the inputted duration.
  • Frames appear to be missing when the clip is dragged to the timeline (but appeared in the original clip)
  • If you scrub through a clip in the viewer, it skips out a frame (e.g skips from 21 to 23)

I don't know if we're missing something really obvious here? Does anyone know if it would make a difference if we were to compress to 25fps?

Any advice is welcomed!!

Thanks

Return to posts index

Anna Ingenthron
    Re: Missing frames
    on Aug 18, 2012 at 2:46:52 am

Some of your issues stem from mixing drop frame with non-drop frame. Drop frame uses a semi-colon or period. Non-drop frame uses all colons.

I wouldn't recommend changing the framerate of your footage while transcoding (depending what program you're using) or you will get stutters. Do you need to deliver 25fps? If all the footage is originally 29.97, you may want to edit at those settings.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
    © 2018 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
    [TOP]