FORUMS: list search recent posts

Can frequent, large compression jobs on my old Macbook Pro harm it?

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro Legacy

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Steven Topham
Can frequent, large compression jobs on my old Macbook Pro harm it?
on Aug 15, 2012 at 4:34:42 pm

My current employer has started asking me to make weekly videos that range from 40 minutes to an hour in length. They have been shot at 1080p, but I will be downgrading that to 720p for the next one. The captured footage files and the finished edited product are just huge and I use my personal equipment to compress the files.
They have to be compressed enough to upload quickly to YouTube with the DSL connection at the office.
I am doing the compression work with compressor on my 2006 Macbook Pro which is peaked as far as upgrades for it go (2.16 GHz core duo, 2gb ram, running 10.6.8). Compression of these large files down to 600mb MPEG4s takes many hours and once they really get going, my laptop sounds like it's working hard and gets hot.

I'm wondering; if I'm doing this every week, will my laptop be able to handle the stress, or will it start showing more signs of wear and die a quick and painful death? Or is this really nothing and it will be fine.
And yes, I know, the best answer is to tell my employer to provide me with the necessary equipment. Before I give them my concerns in that regard, some insight from you good folks would help out greatly.
Apologies for the lengthy post.

Return to posts index

Dave LaRonde
Re: Can frequent, large compression jobs on my old Macbook Pro harm it?
on Aug 15, 2012 at 8:20:00 pm

You're really taxing your laptop. Excessive heat isn't good for anything inside the case. You're placing a lot of wear & tear on the internal hard drive.

Unless the boss will replace your laptop with a new one, don't do it.

Dave LaRonde
Sr. Promotion Producer
KCRG-TV (ABC) Cedar Rapids, IA

Return to posts index

David Eaks
on Aug 15, 2012 at 10:57:43 pm

Does that MBP have an expresscard34 slot? A Matrox MXO2 Mini w/ MAX would remove the load from your system and save you time with faster than real time encodes with the YouTube presets (just barely faster).

Return to posts index

Steve Eisen
on Aug 16, 2012 at 2:55:22 am

And MXO2 Mini w Max is available at its lowest price ever. A very well investment over the Elgato.

Steve Eisen
Eisen Video Productions
Vice President
Chicago Creative Pro Users Group

Return to posts index

Steven Topham
on Aug 16, 2012 at 3:11:21 am

It does have an expresscard34 slot.... and this is all new and exciting information for me. It looks like there are a slew of express card uses, so pardon me while I ask one more question:

After hearing from all of you, I told my boss that he will have to wait a little longer on delivery while I compress the files with my home MacPro. I am an animator and the MBP is my animation slave. It is used primarily for interfacing with my camera and running frame grabber software for extended periods of time. So, without doing tons of research into something I know nothing about, do any of you know of a good expresscard option for just helping a laptop run more efficiently for long periods (if something like that exists)?

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2018 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]