FORUMS: list search recent posts

Deleting Log & Transfer files and FCP crash

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro Legacy

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Chris Jones
Deleting Log & Transfer files and FCP crash
on Aug 15, 2012 at 3:14:50 am

Over time I've Log and Transferred a lot of P2 files from my HXP-170.

Each time I open Log and Transfer and transfer new files I find all the previous files that I have transferred over the months still there.

I didn't want to delete them because I wasn't sure if that deleted the files from the HD (I do have them backed up on another drive).

My problem is this:

I think the number of files in the Log and Transfer window (499 files) may be now causing problems with FCP7.

1. Today I opened Log and Transfer to ingest more files but I got the spinning beach ball of death.
2. I forced quit FCP7 and deleted the pref files (I followed Larry Jordon's youTube tutorial) and I'm pretty sure I did it right.
3. Now FCP takes about 10 min to load.
4. Once I'm in (I've reset my prefs) I get the spinning beach ball of death when I try to open Log and Transfer.

So I have 2 problems at the moment:

1. FCP takes 10 to open up.
2. It takes about 10 min to log into the Log and Transfer Window (which is now empty).

Note: I tried to delete a .mov files from the capture scratch folder to see if that would help. I clicked on one to see if it was not an important take (a good one for deleting) and again... Spinning beach ball of death)

Is 499 the max number of capture scratch files?

Does anyone have any idea what is going wrong or how I can fix it?

Thanks in advance for any help!

Return to posts index

Anna Ingenthron
Re: Deleting Log & Transfer files and FCP crash
on Aug 17, 2012 at 11:58:12 pm

Are you working with files on an external hard drive or are they still on your card?

What size and frame rate are they?

There is no limit on the number of files, but how much space do you have available on the drive itself?

Return to posts index

Chris Jones
Re: Deleting Log & Transfer files and FCP crash
on Aug 18, 2012 at 3:23:00 am

Hi Anna, thanks for the reply.

You know... it took a while but I figured out what happened. After I transferred the content files from the camera to the drive; I did what I had never done before... I turned off the camera without ejecting the camera. I realized what I had done after I did it, but thought there wasn't anything I could do about it at that point.

I then tried to Log&Trans from the folders on the Drive - that is when I started to see the problems and started this thread.

After a while I started to see all kinds of problems on my Mac.... I was afraid I had a much bigger problem than I thought I originally had.

Then I remembered not ejecting the drive. So I connected the camera again and ejected the drive... ALL THE PROBLEMS WENT AWAY!

The point of the story is ALWAYS EJECT BEFORE UNPLUGGING!!! :)

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2018 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]