FORUMS: list search recent posts

Error: Out of Memory - Out of luck - any ideas?

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro Legacy

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Barry O'Brien
Error: Out of Memory - Out of luck - any ideas?
on Aug 15, 2012 at 1:34:52 am

OK.I am running FCP 7.0.3 on a Mac Pro 1.1, 2.66. dual core, 4 MB l2 cashe, 9 GB memory. never had a probem. Now running OS 10.6.8.

Load up a new project. short video. using XDCam footage brought in from XDCam Transfer. I get 2 minutes into the sequence and I go to render (again) and get: error: out of memory.

The only thing new is that I have a new LaCie 7,200rpm 2 Tb hard drive that I have partitioned into 8 Partitions.

OK, so I trash the user and library cashes. I read this on-line) problem continues.

No other apps are running.

I exit and switch to my dual-core MacBook pro laptop: (2.6 Intel dual-core, 4 Gb memory, also running 10.6.8) open the project renders once, 2nd time error: out of memory.

I think: maybe it's this hard 2 TB drive? Copy the project over to an old, proven LaCie 320 GB drive. Same thing: error: out of memory.

I have never had an out of memory warning before, even with one hour + projects and huge files. Of course, this video is due the end of next week.

What could possibly cause this?

Thanks in advance for your help.

Barry O'Brien

Return to posts index

Robert Hicks
Re: Error: Out of Memory - Out of luck - any ideas?
on Aug 15, 2012 at 2:48:42 am

I had a similar problem on 10.6.8 in June when the 8GB of RAM in two of my MacBook Pros filled up to 100% over an hour or so while presenting videos. Using Activity Monitor, local Apple support suspected third party software to be the cause of the problem and recommended both computers be wiped clean, which I agreed to. Two months on, the problem has not returned. I moved to Mountain Lion about two weeks ago. Hope this helps.

Robert Hicks
Melbourne, Australia

Return to posts index

Barry O'Brien
on Aug 15, 2012 at 12:32:29 pm

Thanks for your comment. I am wondering what you mean by "wiped clean?" Was the drive re-formatted and the OS and all the software re-installed, or something less draconian?

Meanwhile, last night, I read a lot of other posts on Creative Cow, and started to look for graphic element in the sequence that might be part of the problem.

I found one, and after I removed it, I could at least render, which allowed me to continue to edit.

The machine (this is the MAC dual core 2.66 Intel tower) still seems sluggish. Remember I never had a problem like this before and I edit regularly.

What I don't understand is the repeated statements elsewhere that FCP 7x only can use 3GB of RAM. Why would Apple restrict the use of more RAM if it's there? This machine has 9 GB.

Any other thoughts on this?

Thank you,

Barry

Return to posts index

Barry O'Brien
on Aug 15, 2012 at 1:16:20 pm

I am a couple of hours of editing in, and the problem is completely gone. It was a large 300 dpi .tiff file that was causing the problem. I re-made the graphics in Photoshop at 72 dpi, and the problem is gone.

still...?

Barry

Return to posts index

Steven Cohen
on Aug 15, 2012 at 4:04:33 pm

I was reading you post just now and was about to say the same thing that you just discovered.

We started having that same problem when we switched over to HD from SD.

We traced it back to large 300 DPI 3000 x 4000 pixel images that Final Cut had the overhead to deal with on an SD timeline, but with all the extra thinking it has to do with HD video it could not handle the pictures being that big.

One of my editors put this handy dandy guide for the other editors here.

I've put it in there.

When using photos in segments:

NO CMYKs! In SD you could get away with it... Not in HD. Change them to RGB.

Check the photos file size and dimensions. Any photo over 2.5 meg in size is a potential render problem... i.e. you will get a “Out of Memory” error message and lose the render which is a real killer if you’ve been rendering for 10 minutes or more, only to hit a oversized photo, crash and lose the render!

An easy way to check is to click on the file in spread “cover” view which will instantly show you the info.

Resize all oversized pictures in Photoshop before use.
Max size you want is around 2400 x 2400 with a max of 150 resolution.

The 1st killer is a resolution of 300. I’ve found that a photo of ANY size with a Res of 300 is “the kiss of death!”. Take it down to 150 if you plan to zoom into the picture... 72 if you don’t.

Steve.

Return to posts index

Barry O'Brien
on Aug 15, 2012 at 4:34:30 pm

I just copied you comments, made a .doc in big type, printed it out and put it up in our editing suite. Very good advice. Thank you.

Barry

Return to posts index

Steven Cohen
on Aug 15, 2012 at 4:44:50 pm

No Problem.
Glad I could help, although a little to late.

Steve.

Return to posts index

Neil Ryan
on Aug 16, 2012 at 2:34:13 am

Video Is Not 72 Dots per Inch
There is a myth in video graphic design: Because some older computer displays used 72 pixels per inch, all video created on a computer must be at this resolution. This is not true or necessary. The dimensions of a video image are dependent only on the number of horizontal and vertical pixels used in the image. Pixel dimensions alone determine the resolution of a video image. You can easily test this yourself by creating two 720 x 480 images in a still graphics program, setting one image to a resolution of 300 dots per inch (dpi) and the other to 72 dpi. Import both images into Final Cut Pro and compare the two. They are absolutely identical. This is because video editing software does not use the dpi setting of a graphics image.

Even though the dpi setting for your graphics is irrelevant for working with video, keep in mind that many people may still adhere to a policy that graphics for video must be 72 dpi. To avoid confusion with other graphic designers, you can leave your video graphics at 72 dpi. Just know that there is nothing special about this setting.

From the FCP User Manual

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2018 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]