FORUMS: list search recent posts

Final Cut Pro 7 - Best Easy Setup and Sequence Setting for 24fps ?

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro Legacy

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Sharon Katz
Final Cut Pro 7 - Best Easy Setup and Sequence Setting for 24fps ?
on Aug 14, 2012 at 4:16:02 pm

Hi all -

I'm animating in software and outputing the clips as QuickTime movies at:
1024 x 576 pixels
24 fps
codec = Animation

I then import these QT files into Final Cut 7 and edit them to sound.

Right now I'm using the default Easy Setup (29.97 fps), and my Sequence Setting is 1024 x 576, square pixels ratio, 24fps, DV codec, audio 48kHz.

But it's importing still images at 29.97 fps and audio at 29.97 fps and I'm getting sync drift.

What's the best Easy Setup to use in this case? And the best Sequence Setting for a quick render?

Thanks very much for your help!
Sharon

Return to posts index

Rafael Amador
Re: Final Cut Pro 7 - Best Easy Setup and Sequence Setting for 24fps ?
on Aug 14, 2012 at 5:07:47 pm

[Sharon Katz] "But it's importing still images at 29.97 fps and audio at 29.97 fps and I'm getting sync drift."
You need an easy setup of 24fps.
You need to set that easy setup before importing the Audio, then FC will treat that audio as if was 24fps so won't drift.

[Sharon Katz] "But it's importing still images at 29.97 fps... "
Stills has no time-base.
rafael

http://www.nagavideo.com

Return to posts index

Shane Ross
on Aug 14, 2012 at 5:14:14 pm

And the Animation codec is not ideal for editing. Far from it...it has a VERY high data rate and that makes it problematic. It's used as a lossless intermediate codec.

You need to know that FCP is designed to edit broadcast standard formats and frame dimensions. Avid is too. The codecs that it works with are what you see in the EASY SETUP list...ProRes is the optimal choice for HD formats. Your frame size doesn't match any broadcast standard, so cutting it with FCP will not be easy, nor smooth. Adobe Premiere would be better suited for this to be honest.

What's the ultimate destination of this piece? Where will it be shown?

Shane
Little Frog Post
Read my blog, Little Frog in High Def

Return to posts index

Sharon Katz
on Aug 14, 2012 at 5:25:23 pm

Thanks for this Shane. Totally understand about not using Animation codec - will do.

There are 2 end products. For gallery projection it's QT 24fps Pro Res 422. For broadcast it's HD 24p.

Which Easy Setup should I select? And what would be a fast render codec for the sequence?

Adobe Premiere would be better for these formats for sure, but I like the way FCP let's me scale canvas elements. To do that and edit both with Adobe I have to bounce between After Effects and Premiere. FCP isn't ideal, I totally agree, but it's a good working space.

Return to posts index

Shane Ross
on Aug 14, 2012 at 5:40:40 pm

OK, both deliverables are aimed at playback on TV screens. One in a museum...an HDTV I'll wager? Or will that be a computer monitor? And the other for HD broadcast. Those deliverables are what you need to keep in mind when animating and making files...how will they be shown, and what are the dimensions.

HDTV's, and broadcast HD, have two formats: 1280x720 (720p) and 1920x1080 (1080i...or 1080p). If your goal is to play back on TVs, then those are the dimensions you should be working with.

Shane
Little Frog Post
Read my blog, Little Frog in High Def

Return to posts index

Dennis Radeke
on Aug 15, 2012 at 12:27:39 am

[Sharon Katz] "Adobe Premiere would be better for these formats for sure, but I like the way FCP let's me scale canvas elements. To do that and edit both with Adobe I have to bounce between After Effects and Premiere. FCP isn't ideal, I totally agree, but it's a good working space."

Sharon - you can scale directly in Premiere Pro's program window and of course the effects control panel in Premiere Pro is identical to After Effects. Finally, Premiere Pro has the best scaling algorithm of the three (FCP, PPro, AE).

You might give it a try but of course, good luck with whatever you choose to do.

Best,
Dennis - Adobe guy

Return to posts index

Rafael Amador
on Aug 14, 2012 at 5:30:06 pm

[Shane Ross] "And the Animation codec is not ideal for editing. Far from it...it has a VERY high data rate and that makes it problematic. It's used as a lossless intermediate codec."
Absolutely.
The Animation codec has been for many years an standard for his Alpha channel and for being cross-platform, but now there are better options.
As Shane suggests, export your animation as Prores (444 if you need Alpha channel).
Better quality on exporting and easier workflow when you have to go through Fc.
rafael

http://www.nagavideo.com

Return to posts index

Sharon Katz
on Aug 14, 2012 at 5:56:34 pm

Thanks for this Rafael and Shane. You're totally right, when I switch to an Easy Setup with 24fps, FCP imports audio and stills on the 24fps timebase!

In the galleries I'm using a laptop and projector to project the QTs directly onto a wall. For that I upscale the video (FCP does a pretty good job) and use the standard outputs for HD - 24p and Pro Res codec.

There are a slew of choices though for the sequence render options while I'm editing - this doesn't have to be high end because it's just for the working space. Should I use Pro Res proxy? Photo - JPEG?

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2018 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]