FORUMS: list search recent posts

Shot at 25FPS, accidentally converted to 23.98, need to deliver in 25fps - is there a solution?

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro Legacy

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Sean Coleman
Shot at 25FPS, accidentally converted to 23.98, need to deliver in 25fps - is there a solution?
on Aug 14, 2012 at 1:54:15 pm

I'm looking for help with something I fear is going to be unsolvable. A crew I was working with shot a short episode of a series for broadcast (UK - BBC) at 25 FPS. The normal producer was away at the time, and workflow assumptions meant that the footage was converted incorrectly - converted to Apple ProRes 422 (HQ) as normal BUT at 23.98 FPS. No backup of the RAW files was made - only a backup of the converted files. The cards were then returned to the hire facility and wiped BEFORE the editor noticed the frame rate.

The editor then went ahead and edited everything on the timeline in 23.98, in the hope that there would be a hardware solution - but the post house has advised that it is not possible to convert this back during layoff.

Is there anything I can now do, or are we looking at an expensive re-shoot.

Return to posts index

Shane Ross
Re: Shot at 25FPS, accidentally converted to 23.98, need to deliver in 25fps - is there a solution?
on Aug 14, 2012 at 3:36:54 pm

Let this be a lesson to you and everyone involved on this: Always back up the FULL card structure of the tapeless format and archive that...NOT the converted media.

This is going to be tough as the damage is done. The footage will already have that lost frame...skip a frame every second. You can't get that back. So going from 24 to 25 might cause another odd skipiness, but maybe not, if output to tape at 23.98, and then run through a Standards Converter to 25. It'd have to be a good one. This might keep you from having further issues, but won't correct the issue already there.

You can also toy with exporting a QT file at 23.98, and then use Cinema Tools to CONFORM to 25. That will cause a slight pitch shift in audio, and a change in duration, so you might need to take that into account.

Shane
Little Frog Post
Read my blog, Little Frog in High Def

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2018 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]