FORUMS: list search recent posts

Freeze Frame Jump

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro Legacy

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Ariel Ritchin
Freeze Frame Jump
on Aug 13, 2012 at 5:26:00 am

Hi everyone,

I'm finishing up a short movie in FCP7 - Apple ProRes422 29.97 fps.
In order to extend the final video clip, I made a freeze frame still and added it on to the end (I want to stay on that still as I roll credits)
For some reason, there is an obvious jump right when the video ends and the still begins, even though the video and still frame are supposed to be the same image? No idea how to fix this, but would appreciate any and all help and advice!

Thanks so much!

Return to posts index

Michael Gissing
Re: Freeze Frame Jump
on Aug 13, 2012 at 6:25:57 am

Is the footage interlaced? If so when you make the freze from the last frame add a deinterlace filter and it should cut properly without a jump

Return to posts index

Ariel Ritchin
on Aug 13, 2012 at 12:39:43 pm

Hi Michael,

Thanks for your quick response. I tried to use a deinterlace filter and it's still jumping!

Let me know if you have any other advice.

Thanks again

Return to posts index

Mark Suszko
on Aug 13, 2012 at 2:17:44 pm

How are you placing the freeze clip on the timeline, I'm wondering if you're overlapping somehow. What codec are you using?

Have you tried a very rapid dissolve at the transition point?

Return to posts index

Rafael Amador
on Aug 13, 2012 at 3:11:44 pm

When deinterlacing, make sure you eliminate the correct field.
You need to freeze the action in the last field played so you need to eliminate the first field on the frame.
If your movie is Upper First, the last field played is the lower, so in the freeze frame you need to get rid of the Upper field.
Is your movie is Lower first, you need to get rid of the Lower field.

This is not much important if the picture has no much movement, but in pictures with a lot of movement can show a noticeable jump.
rafael

http://www.nagavideo.com

Return to posts index

Ariel Ritchin
on Aug 14, 2012 at 2:55:07 am

Mark, Michael, Rafael,

I figured out the problem. I had a smoothcam filter on my video clip, so the jump from video to still image was extremely noticeable.
I ended up exporting the section with the smoothcam filter, then re-imported the clip as a quicktime file and made a still from that last frame.

Thank you all for taking the time. I'm sure I'll use those tips in the future!

-Ariel

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2018 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]