FORUMS: list search recent posts

Issues with TB Drive

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro Legacy

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Lynette Gilbert
Issues with TB Drive
on Aug 10, 2012 at 3:11:45 pm

So IT got me this 8TB drive. It's really great to have that much space, but it's USB, not Firewire (they didn't get me what I asked for; they never do.) Well, I've had it for about two months now, and aside from some initial issues, it's been working great. I love having so much space, so of course all of my media is now on my wonderful 8TB drive instead of my G-drive.

A few days ago, out of the blue, it suddenly started having problems with playback. All of my projects, even ones that played great the day before, now have problems with interrupted playback. In order to edit, I've had to copy everything onto the hard drive, which is obviously not a desirable solution.

I've only tried restarting both the drive and the computer - I've never had this problem before, so I don't know where to even really start with troubleshooting.

Any suggestions?

Return to posts index

Chris Tompkins
Re: Issues with TB Drive
on Aug 10, 2012 at 3:25:55 pm

You should never try and edit video off a USB drive. The data rates are to great a speed hog for the speed of USB. You probably did ok until the drives got a little more filled up.
Tell I.T. (THIS IS WHAT I NEED) and hand them back the USB raid box. Or keep it for back ups.

Chris Tompkins
Video Atlanta LLC

Return to posts index

Ben Holmes
Re: Issues with TB Drive
on Aug 10, 2012 at 11:28:28 pm

Explain to your IT dept that USB (assume USB2) will not handle the sustained transfer speeds needed for video. It tends to deliver data inconsistently, and as such is totally unsuitable for video editing. You were lucky you got away with it for a while. FW, eSATA or TB are infinitely preferable, but you should still insist on pro-video vendors like G-Tech or Caldigit who fit RAID controllers in drives that will sustain good data rates when the drives fill. Oh - and don't get cheap - losing data to cheap drive failure is an expensive business. Point out the cost of a single reshoot.

Ben

Edit Out Ltd
----------------------------
FCP Editor/Trainer/System Consultant
EVS/VT Supervisor for live broadcast
RED camera transfer/post
Independent Director/Producer

http://www.blackmagic-design.com/community/communitydetails/?UserStoryId=87...

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2018 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]