FORUMS: list search recent posts

correct FCP sequence settings for XDCAM EX 1080p 25

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro Legacy

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Drea Davila
correct FCP sequence settings for XDCAM EX 1080p 25
on Aug 8, 2012 at 6:27:14 pm

Good day,

I shot a project on the canon 550d, using MPG streamclip I changed the footage to XDCAM EX 1080p25 as I saw in a tutorial by Philip Bloom that this is a good codec to edit with on FCP as not so big as ProRes. I have set my sequence settings as follows:
Frame Size: HD 1280x1080
Pixel Aspect Ratio: HD 1280 x 1080
Field Dominance: none
Editing time base: 25
Compresor: XDCAM EX 1080p25

So far so good, BUT once I import the footage into timeline and render it then play it doesnt play properly, it plays kind of jumpy, Im sorry I dont know how else to describe it, please see a clip on this link: http://reels.creativecow.net/film/17080

Could someone please help me try to figure out what is going on?

Many thanks,

Drea.

Return to posts index

Shane Ross
Re: correct FCP sequence settings for XDCAM EX 1080p 25
on Aug 8, 2012 at 8:39:19 pm

Yes. You did everything wrong. Sorry to say that, but you did. That Philip Bloom tutorial was wrong...your footage that you shot full raster 1920x1080 is now anamorphic but not even the right kind of anamophic. It should be 1440x1080 if it was anamorphic, not 1280x1080...only DVCPRO HD has those dimensions. But it shouldn't be anamorphic anyway...AT ALL! You shot full raster, you should be editing full raster.

XDCAM is the wrong codec for this. Completely wrong. It's GOP format and you really shouldn't take non-GOP formats like H.264 and make them into GOP formats like HDV or XDCAM.

No...you did everything wrong. And I can't blame you...that tutorial from Philip is all wrong and really needs to be wiped from the web.

THIS is the proper tutorial to watch, it involves LOG AND TRANSFER:

http://library.creativecow.net/ross_shane/tapeless-workflow_fcp-7/1

Only with the Canon 550, you need to hack the Log and Transfer plugin in order to get it to work. I link to how to do that, but if you can't get that to work, you can use Magic Bullet Grinder to convert the footage, or MPEG STREAMCLIP...or Compressor. But the important thing to do is convert to PRORES. Not XDCAM. ProRes.

Shane
Little Frog Post
Read my blog, Little Frog in High Def

Return to posts index

Vincent Strader
on Aug 8, 2012 at 8:57:40 pm

So I guess what you're trying to say is that what he did was incorrect?

Return to posts index

Drea Davila
on Aug 9, 2012 at 6:50:01 pm

THANK YOU SO MUCH ROSS! I really appreciate your help :)

I am gonna change all my footage to PRO RESS 422 but just have one one question, in MPEG streamclip it gives me the option to tick or not a box that says: 'Interlaced scaling' it says to untick for progressive movies, I have tried to find out but dont seem to be able to, is my Canon 550d footage progressive or not?

Thanks

Return to posts index

Shane Ross
on Aug 9, 2012 at 6:56:05 pm

Canon DSLRs only shoot progressive.

Shane
Little Frog Post

Return to posts index

Drea Davila
on Aug 10, 2012 at 1:00:23 pm

Hi Shane,

Thanks for all your help. I have transcoded all the footage to apple pro ress 422 and made sure that my sequence settings are correct, however, Im still having the same problem in FInal Cut Pro, the footage when on the timeline still plays 'jumpy' I dont understand why!

Drea

Return to posts index

Drea Davila
on Aug 13, 2012 at 4:59:53 pm

Please could you help me? I have converted all my footage to ProRess 422. In FCP my sequence settings and rendering settings are all set correctly, yet I am still getting the same jittery problem with my footage, any ideas as what might be causing this? I need to deliver this film soon and I cant get pass this issue!

Thanks,

Drea.

Return to posts index

Shane Ross
on Aug 13, 2012 at 5:23:32 pm

Sorry, I wish I could help. But I don't know what's causing that. I looked at the sample, and it's pretty jittery. So that's not just how your computer plays it back.

What are you exact shooting settings? Does it look like this when you play the footage back in the camera?

Shane
Little Frog Post

Return to posts index

Drea Davila
on Aug 13, 2012 at 5:36:36 pm

The footage looked fine on the camera and when on the computer, even when converted to proress it still pays fine in quick time. It is when I put it in FCP that it happens.

My sequence settings are as follows:

and my system settings, playback control:

Return to posts index

Shane Ross
on Aug 13, 2012 at 5:48:37 pm

Wrong Sequence Settings. Your camera shoots full raster 1920x1080...the converted footage should be full raster 1920x1080. And your sequence settings should be full raster 1920x1080. The dimensions you are showing are for DVCPRO HD...that is the ONLY format that is 1280x1080. So you are still messing something up.

You need to convert the footage to 1920x1080 ProRes. And then use sequence settings to match.

Shane
Little Frog Post

Return to posts index

Drea Davila
on Aug 13, 2012 at 6:10:11 pm

I see! Thanks Shane!

My footage is full raster 1920x1080 it was my sequence settings that are wrong, the only thing Im still in doubt with is what pixel aspect ratio should I use as the only options that is given me are:

Return to posts index

Drea Davila
on Aug 13, 2012 at 6:14:36 pm

Its sorted! Thanks so much for your help Shane, you are truly my hero today :)

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2018 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]