FORUMS: list search recent posts

Exporting HDV ProRes 1080i60 to Apple Intermediate Codec 720p24?

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro Legacy

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Matthew Cohn
Exporting HDV ProRes 1080i60 to Apple Intermediate Codec 720p24?
on Aug 8, 2012 at 3:35:36 pm

Hi,

I've been doing some research on this topic and although I've found information that in general addresses this kind of conversion, I wanted to ask more directly about my particular situation. A short the company I work for produced was selected to participate in a film festival. Because of festival venue restrictions, they asked that we deliver a QT with the following specs: Apple Intermediate 720p24. They say they want these specs because they will be compiling the shorts onto Blue-Ray. Our project specs are HDV ProRes 1080i60. I know it is very difficult to go from 29.97 to 23.98 without going to a post-house that has an Alchemist or a Teranex. The festival sent "how to" instructions advising that all participants output from FCP via Export Using QuickTime Conversion to get the specs they're asking for. Aside from creating a fairly large file that will be difficult to deliver without having to send them a drive, is this even a good idea? There's isn't a lot of movement in our film, but I've done some tests and what little there is looks fuzzy. I'm guessing they want the specs they've asked for in order to compress for Blue-Ray, but couldn't they just as easily work with a direct export from our project with our specs? Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you,
Matt

Return to posts index

Shane Ross
Re: Exporting HDV ProRes 1080i60 to Apple Intermediate Codec 720p24?
on Aug 8, 2012 at 4:55:05 pm

I suspect that they don't have anyone with any real technical experience or real good knowledge at all about codecs and frame rates. 720p is the lowest HD format, and DVDs can do 1080. Apple Intermediate Codec is very lossy, highly compressed and you can see it. Opposed to ProRes that is very good. And I think they assume that everyone is shooting 24p with instructions like that.

Converting 29.97 to 23.98 is not that easy. No, you don't need an Alchemist, but you can use Compressor. You just have to turn on the FRAME CONTROLS in the Inspector, and set everything to BEST, and wait a day or two while it compresses. Run small tests on shots with movement to make sure they look right.

720p BluRays....really!

Shane
Little Frog Post
Read my blog, Little Frog in High Def

Return to posts index

Matthew Cohn
on Aug 8, 2012 at 5:25:33 pm

Hi Shane,

Thank you for your response. I had been considering using Compressor but wasn't sure how the results would be. If I were to use it, would I set the frame rate to 24 in the video settings in the encoder tab and then in frame control just leave the set duration to 100% selected, or do I select the "so source frames play at 24.00 fps"? I'm going to talk to them anyway to find out why they ask for AIC instead of ProRes.

Thank you,

Matt

Return to posts index

Shane Ross
on Aug 8, 2012 at 6:02:48 pm

Set the frame rate to 23.98 in the VIDEO ENCODER. And yes, leave duration alone...leave it where it is.

As I said, do tests to make sure things look right.

Shane
Little Frog Post
Read my blog, Little Frog in High Def

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]