FORUMS: list search recent posts

Frame Rate Trouble

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro Legacy

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Bill Sharp
Frame Rate Trouble
on Aug 7, 2012 at 7:29:11 pm

So I have a problem. I have a project with several interviews. We shot with two cameras, a Canon 5D and a Red One, and external audio with a zoom recorder. We have to output to 23.98fps. The problem is, none of our cameras shot at 23.98. Our 5D guy shot at 29.97 and according to the DP, the Red shot at 50 fps.

Now, I was able to transcode the 5D footage in MPEG Streamclip down to 23.98, The problem is with the Red footage.

Even though it was shot at 50 fps, for some reason the computer and Red Cine X are interpreting the video as 23.98 fps. As a result, it's not normal motion, it's about half speed. I've been running into trouble transcoding because when I try to run it through Compressor or MPEG streamclip and transcode it to 23.98, the computer thinks that it's already 23.98, so there's no change. I've been trying to change the interpretation using Adobe Premiere Pro, which has seemed to give me something close, but I can't get it spot on.

Any suggestions?

Bill

Return to posts index

Shane Ross
Re: Frame Rate Trouble
on Aug 7, 2012 at 9:29:29 pm

Fire the camera guys...or whoever DIDN'T communicate to them the frame rate needs. Whoever is responsible, needs to be slapped. NO excuse for the footage you are getting, none.

So you have two STANDARDS here, not only frame rates...and that's the issue. 50fps is based on PAL and 25fps...so converting PAL to NTSC (which is 30 frame based) is very tricky.

Convert all the RED footage to ProRes, a FINAL format, as you won't be going back to the raw. Take those converted files into Compressor and convert the frame rate to 29.97. You will have to enable the FRAME CONTROLS in the Inspector and make them all BEST...and wait for a couple days as this conversion happens.

Or, if you don't have time, mix the frame rates on the timeline and deal with the horrible way FCP mixes frame rates. I'd opt for the lengthy process.

Oh, TEST your conversion first, on 5-10 second sections of clips, to be sure it looks right, before you convert everything only to find that it all looks bad.

Shane
Little Frog Post
Read my blog, Little Frog in High Def

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2018 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]