FORUMS: list search recent posts

VHS Capture questions

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro Legacy

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Joseph Hung
VHS Capture questions
on Aug 6, 2012 at 9:51:00 pm

Hello fellow cows,
I've been reading posts on this topic and very informative, but not helpful for my case.
Captured some clips from an old VHS tape. Consumer VHS player to AVTools Timebase Corrector to BMD Intensity Pro card, all via FCP7. RCA cables were used as I don't have any other options for this specific hardware setup. Digital files are ProRes 422. Without the TBC I couldn't get any good video or audio at all. So I've made it half way it seems.
In FCP, the TBC did it's job for the most part to correct the errors and I was able to get .mov files that looked right in FCP. However, when I open the .mov in say Quicktime player or MPEG Streamclip, the timebase errors are there, ie. ghosting of frames, or a frame freezes and then stays superimposed for the length of the clip.
In FCP, both the viewer and timeline, the clip plays back fine. What, technically, is FCP doing to correct the clip? When I look at the master clip outside of FCP in any other app the ghosting is all there. I've tried outputting a new .mov at current settings and codec, and the resulting .mov has the ghosting errors.
I know that I don't have the most professional equipment for video restoration, and did some reading up on this. In the end, is this something that needs to go to a proper facility? Will they be able to restore the video better than I?
Any insight is appreciated,
Joseph

http://www.tulpapictures.com
Twitter: @tulpapictures
Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/tulpapictures

Mac Pro 3.0 GHz 8-Core Intel Xeon (2,1) 16GB RAM
Macbook Pro 2.3 GHz Intel Core i7 (8,2) 4 GB RAM
OSX 10.6.8
FCS3
CS5.5
Blackmagic Intensity Pro
NVIDIA GeForce 8800 GT 1GB VRAM
RocketRAID 4322 via dual MiniSAS
ProAvio 8TB RAID 5 Dual Mini-SAS
Panasonic Lumix GH2 (hacked), Canon 5DMKII, 7D, Panasonic HVX200A, Panasonic DVX100A

Return to posts index

Tom Matthies
Re: VHS Capture questions
on Aug 7, 2012 at 2:30:28 am

Try looking at your video in FCP with the canvas set to 100% to see both fields. Are the problems showing up now? Maybe you're only seeing one field and the problems are on the other fields?

E=MC2+/-2db

Return to posts index

Joseph Hung
on Aug 7, 2012 at 4:43:04 pm

You were right. At 100% I can see the fields and the ghosting is there. "Fit to window" does not show these errors.
So, what I did was drop the clips into the Timeline, added deinterlace filters to each, set it to Lower (even), render and output the files at current settings and now the clips play fine.
I would love to know why this is? Why does FCP hide these issues at smaller viewing sizes? Deinterlacing the clips worked out, but maybe I don't know enough about how deinterlacing actually works? I plan on doing more VHS captures, but the more I know the better I'll be.
Thanks for your help!
Joseph

Return to posts index

Joseph Owens
on Aug 7, 2012 at 8:12:50 pm

[Joseph Hung] "Why does FCP hide these issues at smaller viewing sizes?"

FCP only shows you one field in preview.

jPo

"I always pass on free advice -- its never of any use to me" Oscar Wilde.

Return to posts index

Joseph Hung
on Aug 7, 2012 at 11:26:48 pm

Of course it does, dang it. Thanks for the help!

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2018 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]