FORUMS: list search recent posts

Scaling to HD

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro Legacy

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Tom Dempsey
Scaling to HD
on Aug 5, 2012 at 9:28:13 pm

Hi professionals,
I'd like to know if anyone has experience and/or knowledge of the best path for bringing something up to
HD. My situation is this. I have an animated promo that was scaled down at some earlier point from HD to SD Letterbox. Unfortunately, now I have to bring it back up to HD 1080i. Blowing it up in Final Cut brings a pretty rough and aliased image. I thought if i deinterlaced the image it might look a little less jagged but so far that hasn't worked. t recognize that this is not a respectable/preferable situation.
However, I'm stuck with what I have. I have compressor/ After Effects and media encoder as well as aja.

Thanks,
td

tom dempsey

Return to posts index

Shane Ross
Re: Scaling to HD
on Aug 5, 2012 at 10:16:39 pm

You said it was scaled down from HD to SD. OK, where is the file that you scaled down? The original? Use that, not the SD version.

Shane
Little Frog Post
Read my blog, Little Frog in High Def

Return to posts index

Michael Gissing
on Aug 5, 2012 at 11:14:06 pm

If you have no option then Kona cards do good scaling. AE is good too. FCP is not a good scaler as you have discovered.

Deinterlacing further reduces your resolution.

Return to posts index

Tom Dempsey
on Aug 5, 2012 at 11:46:24 pm

My question about aja is this. If i up-rezed the letterboxed spot, would i not have some of the
letterboxed black still in the HD output? i know i would be losing resolution with de-interlacing,
but wonder if it would decrease the aliasing. My source material has been through several incarnations.
First HD 23.98, then to letterboxed SD, then to DV50. Now I've got to get it back to HD.

tom dempsey

Return to posts index

Michael Gissing
on Aug 6, 2012 at 12:07:30 am

Letterboxing is unfortunate as it will be both letterbox and pillarbox in HD. So if you recapture from DV50 tape (if that is the source) then check if AJA scale from letterbox all the way to full frame HD. I can't check my AJA setup menu at the moment as I am outputing to tape but if you have it available there should be an option to select input as LB and then it should scale to full frame without the LB and pillar box.

If the shot is a file, then perhaps the best thing would be AE to scale. Because of the letterbox you have a much larger scale to do so aliasing will be worse.

Return to posts index

Tom Dempsey
on Aug 6, 2012 at 1:28:39 am

Michael, that is very sound advice. I'll check the upscale possibliities in aja when i return
to work tomorrow. As with so much of the footage we use, it's just never as simple as it seems.

tom dempsey

Return to posts index

Steven Cohen
on Aug 6, 2012 at 4:50:44 pm

We just switched to HD and have a lot of SD content that we contractually need to continue airing.

We did a lot of testing in this area.

AJA Kona card is the best option of your choices.

For letter boxed material choose Zoom Wide.

Steve.

Return to posts index

Tom Dempsey
on Aug 5, 2012 at 11:42:36 pm

I apologize, I assumed everyone would know that the original is not available. certainly, i would have used the original if it was available.

tom dempsey

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]