FORUMS: list search recent posts

Final Cut Pro - Editing multiple frame rates and sizes

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro Legacy

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Alison Teal
Final Cut Pro - Editing multiple frame rates and sizes
on Aug 3, 2012 at 9:48:41 am

I want to prepare three footage formats for editing together with FINAL CUT PRO 7, and need help so I don't come across big problems later...

Formats:
1. GoPro HD footage (1280 x 720) and some is shot at 60fps for slow mo
2. DVCPRO HD (1280 x 1080) shot at 29.97 fps (Transcoded originally in Final Cut from P2 Cards)
3. Canon 7D footage transcoded to Apple Pro Res LT (1920 x1080) using Mpeg Streamclip shot at 23.98 fps

Questions:
1. Do I need to convert the DVCPRO HD to Apple Prores? Better for alllll the footage to be one format? Which format?
2. Can I mix the aspect rations such as 1920 x 1080 and 1280 x 1080 etc?
3. Can I mix frame rates? And if so which frame rate should I set the FCP Sequence to? If I have both 23.98 and 29.97 do I need to make them the same before editing?
3. If I do need to covert everything to one frame size and rate what program should I use? And what is the best size and rate to convert everything to?
4. Is Mpeg Stream Clip a good program for any of this?
5. Should I make the clips interlaced or de-interlaced and should I set the timeline to progressive or not if I'm mixing both interlaced and progressive footage?

Thank you

Return to posts index

Rainer Wirth
Re: Final Cut Pro - Editing multiple frame rates and sizes
on Aug 3, 2012 at 12:12:28 pm

Hello Alison,

I wonder about the aspect ratio. DVCPro HD is 1440x1080 and anamorphotic, so it matches with 1920x1080. The different aspect ratios are easy to deal with.
I would choose Pro res 422 Codec (not HQ or LT).
Your main problem are different fps. They have to be all the same. You have to transcode it. Also the slomo of the Gopro material.
You have to transcode it anyway, so I would transcode it all to Prores422.
I don't know how Mpeg streamclip deals with different frame rates (Audio sync is your main problem). I would use episode or cinema tools (part of FPS) to get the fps right.

Good luck

Rainer

Return to posts index

Alison Teal
on Aug 3, 2012 at 7:46:10 pm

thank you! What's your thoughts on switching to Adobe Premiere Pro? I've been a Final Cut fan for years but think Premiere might save me a lot of head ache? But not sure the learning curve?

Return to posts index

Rainer Wirth
on Aug 7, 2012 at 9:40:30 am

Production suite of Adobe is very powerful. We've got it on the computer, along with Avid MC6. Personally I don't like premiere. I don't know why, it's just one of my cosmic feelings. Technically its very good and powerful. At the moment we test MC6 as a brick in our new workflow. I think that compositing will still be growing. Especially Chroma key effects. In FCP the Chroma key was okay, but not very good. We've tested keylight and Boris, with a similar result to FCP. The Chroma key in MC6 is better (to my taste). The best Chromakey, I've come across is within Smoke. So we tend to look into Smoke 2013. Our workflow will be editing in MC6 or FCP, finishing in Smoke 2013 on a second workstation. For us the main Adobe products we use are Photoshop and After effects. One reason for this: Our editors are not very familiar with Premiere.

Cheers

Rainer

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]