FORUMS: list search recent posts

MTS files & FCP 7. why, Why, WHY?

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro Legacy

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Gina Monkaey DeBartolo
MTS files & FCP 7. why, Why, WHY?
on Aug 3, 2012 at 1:06:57 am

WHY won't these stinking MTS files play nice with my FCP?

Here's my situation:
* I am running FCP 7 on an iMac OS X version 10.7.3 (Lion).

* I am attempting to import and convert MTS files from a Panasonic AF100 camera.

* I have downloaded and installed the AVCCAMImporter (before I realized it works for Mac OS X 10.5, 10.6, but perhaps not for 10.7 Lion)

* The raw files are already on my external drive, all ready to be logged and transferred. But when I go to do this, the MTS files are greyed out.

I am seeing a lot of people bemoaning these transfer issues with the new FCP X, but I can't find any info on converter programs that work with FCP 7/Lion. Ideas? Help? You all rock.

Return to posts index

Shane Ross
Re: MTS files & FCP 7. why, Why, WHY?
on Aug 3, 2012 at 1:16:01 am

You aren't doing it right. You use LOG AND TRANSFER for tapeless media.

here's a tutorial:

http://library.creativecow.net/ross_shane/tapeless-workflow_fcp-7/1

Shane
Little Frog Post
Read my blog, Little Frog in High Def

Return to posts index

Gina Monkaey DeBartolo
on Aug 3, 2012 at 1:21:39 am

I was indeed using Log and Transfer for this; I should have mentioned that. Thanks for the link to your video anyway; I'll watch it.

Return to posts index

Shane Ross
on Aug 3, 2012 at 1:46:19 am

Are you fully updated to 7.0.3? Is the full card structure intact? And I mean FULL card structure...

Shane
Little Frog Post

Return to posts index

Gina Monkaey DeBartolo
on Aug 3, 2012 at 2:37:21 am

Probably, but not 100% positive.

I had fairly experienced camera operator/editor logging and transferring the files onto a hard drive for me (but using a MacBook Pro with FCP 6); now I'm trying to do the same on a few raw files that he didn't get to.

I'm following his same workflow but on a different machine and version of Final Cut, and I am unable to replicate his success.

Return to posts index

Gina Monkaey DeBartolo
on Aug 3, 2012 at 2:39:03 am

Oh, and I am not fully updated to 7.0.3. I'm just at 7.0, if that makes a difference. Thanks for your help.

Return to posts index

Werner Kruse
on Aug 3, 2012 at 8:09:10 am

Hi,

I recently ran into problems with .mts files. I had no idea where they came from, what camera, etc. It was only a folder with a bunch of .mts files. (It was not in its original folder either as it records from camera)

I downloaded the plugins that I could find for FCP and tried Log & Transfer but no luck.

I tried MPEG Streamclip, Compressor and a few other programs to transcode to Prores but no program recognized the files.

Luckily I have Premiere Pro CS6 (Believe CS5 and up will work) and it recognizes almost any file format so I imported into PP and then exported as a ProRes file. That file was hen imported into FCP.

There could be better ways but I had no time and was the easiest, quickest option for me.

Good luck

Return to posts index

Gina Monkaey DeBartolo
on Aug 4, 2012 at 5:42:59 pm

Thanks so much, Werner! I'll try that!

Gina

Return to posts index

Rafael Amador
on Aug 4, 2012 at 7:09:43 pm

There is another couple of options.
One is ClipWrap (free trial), which can re-wrap the MTS files as QT (so you can import to FC), or convert to Prores.
The other option is 5DtoRGB (free). This will also convert the MTS to Prores while processing the chroma properly (you will be going from 8bYUV-420 to 10bYUV-422/444). This is option will make the best conversion, but will be slower.
rafael

http://www.nagavideo.com

Return to posts index

Michael Reiersgaard
on Aug 5, 2012 at 2:55:18 am

If you have access to Adobe Media Converter that's how I get around MTS files. My other editor doesn't seem to understand I can't use mts files by themselves and I always end up converting them to ProRes in Adobe Media Converter before I can start editing.

Return to posts index

christina rule
on Aug 6, 2012 at 11:20:35 pm

I ran into this issue before... My client sent me just the .mts files with no folder structure so I was unable to do the log and transfer in final cut.

I find that HandBrake http://handbrake.fr/
is the best for conversion. 1. It's free and 2. It works fast and holds good quality. Hope this helps!

http://www.christinarule.com

Return to posts index

Shane Ross
on Aug 6, 2012 at 11:22:08 pm

Handbrake doesn't encode to a format that FCP edits. YOu have to then convert again.

ClipWrap 2 costs, but it deals with the MTS files and encodes to FCP friendly formats.

Shane
Little Frog Post

Return to posts index

Yoda Yun
on Nov 25, 2014 at 12:17:34 pm
Last Edited By Yoda Yun on Nov 25, 2014 at 12:36:56 pm

One possible reason is that you did not copy the entire card folder from your camcorder. FCP requires videos metadata while ingesting. If you only have video files, then you will encounter some problem when importing MTS videos into FCP directly. Pls remember to go to “Import from Camera > Open Archive” rather than going straight to “Import”. If you still meet issues, you'd better find a tool to help you as a lot of persons mentioned in this thread.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2018 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]