FORUMS: list search recent posts

Missing Video @ The End Of An ProRes 422 Video On Import To FCP

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro Legacy

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Doug Glazebrook
Missing Video @ The End Of An ProRes 422 Video On Import To FCP
on Aug 2, 2012 at 9:18:45 pm

Hello all! I'm banging my head looking for a piece of missing video. I've encoded a segment that runs 17 minutes 38 seconds as Apple ProRes 422. When I open it in Quicktime, it's all there. When I bring it (and other versions I've encoded to test) into FCP, I'm only getting 16:42 of footage.

What have I done so wrong to deserve this??

Any light you may be able to shed would be appreciated! :)

Return to posts index

Rich Rubasch
Re: Missing Video @ The End Of An ProRes 422 Video On Import To FCP
on Aug 3, 2012 at 2:42:13 am

How did you encode it? How are you measuring the length? With timecode, with in and out points? Is the end actually truncated (missing frames) or is it just saying the clip is shorter?

What is the framerate of the source and framerate of the encoded clip?

Rich Rubasch
Tilt Media Inc.
Video Production, Post, Studio Sound Stage
Founder/President/Editor/Designer/Animator
http://www.tiltmedia.com

Return to posts index

Doug Glazebrook
on Aug 3, 2012 at 2:15:03 pm

Rich! Thanks for the reply.

-I am encoding with Apple Compressor, ProRes 422 (HQ). The only change to the standard settings is switching audio to Linear PCM / Little Endian.

-I'm strictly looking at time when measuring length. In Quicktime, the file is 17:38 and plays out to that time. When I import it into FCP and either put it in the viewer, or on the timeline, it ends at the 16:42 mark--which matches exactly with what's happening at that time when the complete clip is viewed in Quicktime. In other words, the clip is shorter by about 55 seconds and missing that amount of content when played in FCP.

-BUT when we look at frame rate, the source clip is 12.93 FPS while the encoded clip is 15.15 DESPITE the selected encoding setting of Frame Rate: 100% of source.

Is this the problem? And if so... any idea why it's not 100% of source despite all efforts to make it so?

Return to posts index

Rich Rubasch
on Aug 6, 2012 at 4:55:40 pm

That is absolutely the issue. If you want the encoded clip to keep the source clip's frame rate you must specify it numerically. Sometimes using "current" doesn't give the expected results.

Rich Rubasch
Tilt Media Inc.
Video Production, Post, Studio Sound Stage
Founder/President/Editor/Designer/Animator
http://www.tiltmedia.com

Return to posts index

Doug Glazebrook
on Aug 8, 2012 at 4:59:36 pm

Rich! You are a superstar. That worked like a charm. Thanks so much for that. The only problem now is that the audio is out of synch by a couple seconds at the end. I can obviously cut and move the audio. No big deal there but if you know of a proper workaround, I'd appreciate it for future reference.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2018 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]