FORUMS: list search recent posts

FCP exporting for UK broadcast

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro Legacy

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Josh Smith
FCP exporting for UK broadcast
on Aug 1, 2012 at 11:56:52 pm

Hi everyone,

I have a really urgent question that I'm hoping someone in the know can answer - it concerns exporting PAL 16:9 video (with audio) from FCP, in such a format/compression that is acceptable for UK broadcast.

I have recently started a video production business, and we've just been asked (at short notice) to film & export footage for broadcast on regional news in the UK (it only broadcasts in SD - so we've filmed in SD. It's going out on the BBC and ITV). It was filmed on a Canon XH-A1s, and the audio was recorded with a Rode NTG-2. We've got it all shot, captured and edited, and we now need to render it out.

Thing is, we're faced with so many compression options, we don't know which one to choose! We've only ever really used H.264 .mov for web/YouTube videos, so we're totally new to the concept of exporting for broadcast. I assume it needs to be as uncompressed/high quality as possible? Or is there something totally different I should be thinking about?

If someone can please do me a huge favour by providing the correct export settings for this situation, I would love you forever. Also, would the same principle apple if the footage is in HD, or would it require different settings?

Many, many thanks in advance.

- Josh.

Video Production Essex

Return to posts index

Shane Ross
Re: FCP exporting for UK broadcast
on Aug 2, 2012 at 12:17:18 am

Ask them to provide you with the specs of how they need the output to be delivered. Only they can tell you what they require. It's called a "spec sheet" often times. Ask for the specs for their deliverable.

Shane
Little Frog Post
Read my blog, Little Frog in High Def

Return to posts index

Andrew Rendell
Re: FCP exporting for UK broadcast
on Aug 3, 2012 at 5:34:10 am

Yeah, file delivery isn't standardized yet in the UK so you'll have to get individual specs from the broadcasters in question.

For SD the safe bet is still digibeta tape.

TBH, it's most likely going to be OP1a transport stream with specific codec settings, but I've done some where I just took FCP quicktime exports to White City and the BBC did their own conversions from those, although it's all changing there at the moment so I very much doubt that that's still an option.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]