FORUMS: list search recent posts

Recapture Canon 5D

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro Legacy

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Rich Rubasch
Recapture Canon 5D
on Aug 1, 2012 at 6:09:34 pm

Hi all;

Transferred about 20 5D folders as ProRes Proxy. I now have three spots to recapture as ProRes HQ.

I followed the "make a temp project, drag in the sequences, make clips independent, run mangler, make a new project, drag those over" etc and it won't connect to the 5D footage correctly. It wants to bring the entire clip in or it crashes.

Anyone successfully do this when you have more than one 5D folder?

Rich Rubasch
Tilt Media Inc.
Video Production, Post, Studio Sound Stage
Founder/President/Editor/Designer/Animator
http://www.tiltmedia.com

Return to posts index

Michael Gissing
Re: Recapture Canon 5D
on Aug 2, 2012 at 12:05:33 am

Rich, all the important info is missing. I suggest going through Shane Ross's tutorials on tapeless workflow and offline/online workflow to check that you are following the best procedure. How you backed up your file structure and captured the media to ProRes proxy are the important first steps before you go through the media manager stage and how you setup MM also matters.

http://library.creativecow.net/search.php?q=shane+ross+tapeless+tutorial&f[...

Return to posts index

Shane Ross
on Aug 2, 2012 at 12:13:31 am

Hmmm...Jeremy Garchow said that there's a horrible bug happening only with L&T from the Canon DSLRs. If you L&T your footage from the tapeless backups, and then MOVE them to another drive or another location, FCP will no be able to track their path when re-ingesting at higher res, even if you first point FCP to those folders. WOrks fine with other tapeless formats...move them, point FCP to them, it'll reingest. But for 5D...doesn't work.

Did you change the location of the files you initially imported from?

(Michael, FYI Rich is a regular here and is well aware of how to do tapeless properly. He's not one of those noobs who doesn't know his ass from his elbow. He is very knowledgeable of where his ass is. And his elbow. HEE!)

Shane
Little Frog Post
Read my blog, Little Frog in High Def

Return to posts index

Rich Rubasch
on Aug 3, 2012 at 2:34:51 am

Here's the deal. The DP shot on four cards in one day and each card change the first filename was MVI_0001.

When I first LT'd the footage I dragged all four cards for that day into the window and added a prefix to the filename on the way in like "DAY1".

Sounds good, but when the footage comes in, the first card gets each file named correctly, but when FCP hits the second card and sees a new MVI_0001 it simply keeps ascending the numbers. By the end of the fourth card the file on the capture drive was MVI_0089, when in fact there was not a single file on any card with that name.

What's worse is you have to remember exactly what order you brought the card folders into LT because if you bring in 1-4 the first time, and 4-1 the second time all the clips get mixed up.

I ended up using timecode (at least they recorded time of day!) so I could determine what clip went with the one in my sequences by timecode then I could re-transfer them, albeit with a new filename.

It was madness, but it is over now!

Rich Rubasch
Tilt Media Inc.
Video Production, Post, Studio Sound Stage
Founder/President/Editor/Designer/Animator
http://www.tiltmedia.com

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2018 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]