FORUMS: list search recent posts

Maintaning file structure when converting to Pro Res

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro Legacy

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Daniel Neutzsky-Wulff
Maintaning file structure when converting to Pro Res
on Aug 1, 2012 at 1:46:32 pm

I just received a hard-drive containing the footage for a music video. They spent some time organizing all of the footage into different folders.

My question:

Is it possible to keep the same file structure with all the folders intact after converting to Pro Res?

I usually run the H.264 files through Batch Export in Final Cut Pro. Is there an easier way of doing it while maintaining the folder structure from the original hard-drive?

Return to posts index

Joe Barta IV
Re: Maintaning file structure when converting to Pro Res
on Aug 1, 2012 at 1:59:32 pm

Use Compressor, it will put the files right back in the same folder they came from.

Bars & Tone
SALUTE!

Return to posts index

Daniel Neutzsky-Wulff
on Aug 1, 2012 at 2:07:51 pm

How do I do that?

Return to posts index

Joe Barta IV
on Aug 1, 2012 at 2:18:33 pm

Open the Compressor program.

Drag the files you want to covert from the folder to the DropZone (down arrow) in the batch window.

In the Settings window of Compressor, choose QuickTime and the version of ProRes you want, drag this to the the clips you put in the batch window.

Click Submit

This will convert the files to ProRes and put them back into the same folder. Also, preserving your original files.

Return to posts index

Daniel Neutzsky-Wulff
on Aug 1, 2012 at 2:37:29 pm

I have a folder structure that looks something like this:

Project Name
/Location_1_Day_1
/Location_1_Day_2
/Location_2_Day_1
/Location_1_Day_2

Etc. etc.

Do i have to manually drag and drop every file into the compressor batch window? This seems like a very lengthy procedure given that I have 200+ clips to convert.

I tried dragging the entire folder into the batch window, that doesn't work. Any other suggestions?

Return to posts index

Daniel Neutzsky-Wulff
on Aug 1, 2012 at 2:58:10 pm

Compressor can't seem to handle all of the files at once.
Just hangs and I have to force quit.

Return to posts index

Joe Barta IV
on Aug 1, 2012 at 3:10:01 pm

You can Select All the files in a folder then drag the group over to the batch window.

I don't know of any file limit in Compressor. Sometimes you have to wait a bit when moving in a bunch of files for the program to Cache everything.

Return to posts index

Jason Brown
on Aug 1, 2012 at 3:37:21 pm

Compressor seems to hang on conversions of a large number of files (+30)...if u let it sit for 5 min or so it usually does respond and will convert...u just have to be patient. (very patient) haha

One clever way I found to select multiple files in multiple folders is using the find function.

If u search the top level folder for all files with .mov or .mp4 or whatever, it will return a result of every file in that "tree"

It's a good way to rename files as well.

Return to posts index

Shane Ross
on Aug 1, 2012 at 3:53:47 pm

Wait wait wait wait.

Did they organize the TAPELESS media, meaning these are backups of full card structures from tapeless cameras? In the cameras format (AVCHD, H.264)? Or are they converted files?

Sounds like this is tapeless media, in which case you need to use Log and Transfer to convert this. And organize it inside FCP to match.

Shane
Little Frog Post
Read my blog, Little Frog in High Def

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2018 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]