FORUMS: list search recent posts

Opening FCP compressed files on a Premiere system

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro Legacy

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Kylene Arnold
Opening FCP compressed files on a Premiere system
on Jul 31, 2012 at 6:43:21 pm

I am a Final Cut Pro user supervising a junior editor who is working remotely on a Mac-based Adobe Premiere system (yes, I know that's asking for trouble, but the Producer has spoken.) He has over a thousand BTS shots in .mov format compressed with the mpeg 1/2 hdv6 codec. Some of them are readable by Premiere, but others are not. When attempting to view them in Quicktime, he gets the following message:

"The document “filename.mov” could not be opened. This media may be damaged."

The media is not damaged, since I can open the files on my system. We believed it to be a codec problem rooted in the fact that he does not have FCP, so he downloaded Apple Motion, which is supposed to contain the codec support. He can now open more files than before, but by no means all of them. The only way he can view them is in VLC and the only solution we've found to get them into Premiere is to transcode them through Handbreak. However a 1-2 minute file takes 10 minutes to transcode and that is not a good solution for us with the number of files he has.

If anyone has a solution to this problem, I would be most grateful. Thank you for your help.

Return to posts index

Rafael Amador
Re: Opening FCP compressed files on a Premiere system
on Jul 31, 2012 at 8:00:55 pm

Hi Kilene,
I would try Perian and MPGStreamclip.
Make sure your editor has QT.7 installed.
rafael

http://www.nagavideo.com

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2018 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]