FORUMS: list search recent posts

DVCPRO HD .mov from FCP to ANYTHING

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro Legacy

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Ricky Barrow
DVCPRO HD .mov from FCP to ANYTHING
on Jul 31, 2012 at 3:08:13 pm

Photographer shot Panasonic tapes, DVCPRO HD 720p 59.94. Captured/digitized through FCP (I'm not sure what version) to make QT .mov files. He said he kept DVCPRO HD codec all through the process. I know nothing about FCP. When he sent the drive, there were 4 folders: 1) Shoot ONE with 3 tapes = 3 29GB .mov files, 2) Shoot TWO with 6 tapes = 6 29GB .mov files Folders 3 and 4 seemed to be related to the FCP process i.e. audio renders etc.

I copied the 2 folders with .mov files to our media server. On Avid MC 6 Win7 machine with Calibrated-Q bundle installed, both QT(player) and Avid(AMA Linking) could only read 2 of the 9 files (one in each folder.

I then took the original drive with 4 folders, plugged into MAC laptop with FCP installed and could watch all files in QT player, so I started Sorenson Squeeze to convert all to DNxHD codec for use with Avid. In the process of taking this conversion home to run overnight, I dropped the hard drive and it is dead. I bring the same MAC laptop back and try to read the .mov files (without the extra 2 folders that I believe are related to FCP) and now QT player on this MAC laptop will only read the same 2 files of 9 .... Do I need these extra folders? Were they created by FCP and contain some data that allows me to read the mov files? I have tried every conceivable idea between 2 PC's and 2 MACs with FCP 7 installed, updated QT, loaded plugins etc. I am ready to pull out what little hair I have left. Even iMovie will only import the same 2 of 9 files!

Please help.

Ricky

Return to posts index

Rainer Wirth
Re: DVCPRO HD .mov from FCP to ANYTHING
on Jul 31, 2012 at 3:29:21 pm

Hi,

this sounds a little weird. First of all: What have you got? QT files or FCP files? Is one tape one QT file? is there a FCP file, because it seems that you've also got some render files?
If any of the files are corrupt digital rebellion might work. In the batching process I've had the following problem (you might have the same): If you just play the tape and go for batch digitize until the tape ends the original batched file works. When you copied the file it didn't work. If you have set a proper in and out when digitizing, the files will work even when copied. This might be the reason, why you can read only 2 files (probably they were batched with in and out) and not the other files (no in and out was set).
Try digital rebellion, it might do the job.

I hope that helps

Rainer

Return to posts index

Ricky Barrow
on Jul 31, 2012 at 3:40:09 pm

Thanks, I will ask the Photographer AND look into Digital Rebellion - he digitized 9 tapes through FCP to create 9 QT .mov files, DVCPRO HD codec, 112mbps data rate and sent them to us. he is in New mexico and we are in TN. When he did this through FCP, he went directly to our drive that we sent him. I do not know what process he used 'through' FCp as I have never used FCP even though we have it installed on several MACs. I thought he said he went "straight through" thereby creating the individual files 'as they were digitized'. We are basically a PC group using Avid, but we have Avid and FCP on our MACs. FCP, iMovie, Avid, QT - none of these will see 7 of the 9 files but do see 2 of the 9. Sorry to confuse the matter, it is just that I have tried troubleshooting on my own using everything I have to find a solution before posting.
The 2 folders (audio renders etc.) seemed to have no data in them to amount to anything and the QT .mov files seemed to be all self-contained - they all played fine before I killed the hard drive and lost the "2 extra folders"

Ricky

Return to posts index

Rainer Wirth
on Jul 31, 2012 at 4:06:55 pm

Digital rebellion is your best choice. You have to run QT repair.
If this won't work you have to rebatch from the original tapes. Avid works with DVCPro HD flawlessly. MC6 takes the original contents folder of our P2 files. But we have tapeless workflow.

good luck

Rainer

Return to posts index

Ricky Barrow
on Jul 31, 2012 at 4:13:58 pm

Yes, very familiar and happy with P2 and all other tapeless workflows ... this photographer had his other file based camera on another project.

Thanks again

Ricky

Return to posts index

Dave LaRonde
on Jul 31, 2012 at 5:15:13 pm

I hate to be the bearer of bad news, but this video is almost certainly standard-definition DVCPro-50. It may even be DV 25.

To my knowledge, there is no Panasonic camera capable of recording DVCPro HD 720p 60 to tape. It can only be recorded to a P2 card.

This seems to be a situation where someone tried to stuff 10 pounds of you-know-what into a 5-pound bag. Those little tapes are capable of recording only so much information.

Dave LaRonde
Sr. Promotion Producer
KCRG-TV (ABC) Cedar Rapids, IA

Return to posts index

Shane Ross
on Jul 31, 2012 at 5:42:23 pm

[Dave LaRonde] "To my knowledge, there is no Panasonic camera capable of recording DVCPro HD 720p 60 to tape. It can only be recorded to a P2 card."

Sorry Dave, but you are mistaken. DVCPRO HD was FIRST recorded to tape. The Panasonic Varicam shot, and shoots, DVCPRO HD 720p60 to tape, and even shoots 720p24 (flagged for pulldown removal) to tape. This was BIG in the FCP world. FCP 4.5 was called "FCP HD" because it was the first to capture this format via firewire...native. The DVCPRO HD tape deck was the cheapest HD deck out there. Planet Earth was 75% shot with DVCPRO HD on tape.

I made my switch from Avid Media Composer to FCP because Avid didn't deal with 720p formats...and didn't deal with DVCPRO HD well at all. FCP 4.5, it was native.

Sorry to correct you so publicly. :)

Shane
Little Frog Post
Read my blog, Little Frog in High Def

Return to posts index

Ricky Barrow
on Jul 31, 2012 at 5:48:55 pm

True - This guy is a very good photographer so we used him again ... meaning the first time this happened, we had him send us the tapes and digitized directly into Avid 720p - it is indeed on tape, however, I thought this time that we had the codec bugs worked out. i have a suspicion that he digitized from start to end and there is something at the end of these files that is corrupt ... even the 2 files I was working with, Sorenson gets to end end of transcoding to DNxHD codec and after nearly 4 hours of this, the program freezes with 2 minutes left.

Ricky

Return to posts index

Dave LaRonde
on Aug 2, 2012 at 12:56:13 pm

Aaaah, that's what I get for for working exclusively in Beta SP at that time. I forgot all about those decks.

Dave LaRonde
Sr. Promotion Producer
KCRG-TV (ABC) Cedar Rapids, IA

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]