FORUMS: list search recent posts

Still needing advice. Please.

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro Legacy

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Greg Ball
Still needing advice. Please.
on Jul 31, 2012 at 1:17:42 pm

Thanks for you patience here. I’m reposting this with some clarifications.

I'm working on a project that involves sending the videos to an ftp site for another company to translate the video into Chinese and subtitle them. Once the subtitles are burned onto the video, I need to take those videos into FCP and build my own translated graphic titles (using motion) on the screen. The end result will be a high quality QuickTime file that the clients can create their own DVDs (they have an in-house video team)

I prefer to edit in pro res. But I'm concerned that the videos will be too large in file size to upload to our translator's ftp site. Each video (there are 8 of them) will be about 3 minutes in length.

Would I be better off uploading .h264 files so the translators can add the subtitles? Then converting the .h264 to pro res so I can finish the videos with on screen graphic titles? Or is there a better way to send them to an ftp site and keep it high quality?

I can't send the translators a hard drive, because they are out of country, and I need a very quick turnaround.

Again, I'm not creating the DVD. I'm giving the client a QuickTime file with subtitles burned on and I'm replacing their on-screen graphics with graphics in the new language. All subtitles need to be burned onto the video (QuickTime).
I really need some suggestions here. Thanks again.

Greg

Return to posts index

Chris Tompkins
Re: Still needing advice. Please.
on Jul 31, 2012 at 1:51:59 pm

The norm is to send the text to the translator and when you get the translation back from them, YOU build the new grfx.
Is this an option?
You have Asian characters on your mac.

Chris Tompkins
Video Atlanta LLC

Return to posts index

Greg Ball
on Jul 31, 2012 at 2:14:10 pm

Thanks Chris, That's not the issue for me. Yes, I'm creating the graphic text. The issue is sending a high quality video to the Translators, so they can burn subtitles, and send it back to me, and I'll lay in the graphics then I'll can give a high quality QT file to my clients.

My question is what kind of file should I send the translators using their FTP site, so the files stay in high quality for me to import back into FCP and finish them with graphics? I'm worried that the file sizes will be too large and take all day to upload to their ftp.

Return to posts index

Ryan Holmes
on Jul 31, 2012 at 2:30:49 pm

A 3 minute ProRes422 file will run around 2-2.5GB. Not impossible to upload, but can they even read it with their software/equipment?

Otherwise, h.264 will probably give you the best results.

Ryan Holmes
http://www.ryanholmes.me
vimeo.com/ryanholmes

Return to posts index

Chris Tompkins
on Jul 31, 2012 at 3:08:07 pm

My suggestion was to send them a word doc, a script.
Let them translate that.

YOU burn in subtitles with the transcript they send back to you.

Chris Tompkins
Video Atlanta LLC

Return to posts index

Greg Ball
Re: Chris Still needing advice. Please.
on Jul 31, 2012 at 3:13:16 pm

Chris, again that's not the issue. We have a whole process in place. They do the burn ins of subtitles.
my only issue is giving them a high quality QT out of FCP that won't be too large for them to burn the subtitles onto.

Return to posts index

Greg Ball
Thanks Ryan
on Jul 31, 2012 at 3:12:01 pm

I don't think they can work with Pro res, So I'll send them .h264. Hopefully the file size will be smaller.

Thanks for your help.

Return to posts index

Ryan Holmes
Re: Thanks Ryan
on Jul 31, 2012 at 3:15:34 pm

I would second Chris' suggestion above. Send them a Word .doc of the show. They translate it and send it back to you. Then you copy/paste the text into FCP/Motion and create the subtitles. That way you control the quality, you control the animation, and you control the final product.

If that's not doable then I would probably go the h.264 route.

Ryan Holmes
http://www.ryanholmes.me
vimeo.com/ryanholmes

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2018 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]