FORUMS: list search recent posts

Best codec for editing aside from ProRes 422, for reference video

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro Legacy

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Bill Chen
Best codec for editing aside from ProRes 422, for reference video
on Jul 30, 2012 at 7:58:04 pm

Hey guys, my usual workflow has always been to transcode all my footage to ProRes before editing but is there a decent codec to work with that doesn't require a lot of hard drive space? My end goal is to compile a bunch of dance videos for reference for me and my client, not for final presentation.

What I've been experimenting with is transcoding the footage to 'Apple Motion JPEG A' using MPEGstreamclip, lowering the resolution a bit as well and then doing the editing / compiling in FCP. The source footages will be usually mp4s and wmvs. Just wondering what other people's workflow would be if they were to compile clips for reference and not use as much space as prores 422. Thanks!

Return to posts index

Rob Grauert
Re: Best codec for editing aside from ProRes 422, for reference video
on Jul 30, 2012 at 8:25:46 pm

DVCProHD is 100Mbps. So that's more compressed than ProRes

You could try HDV, too, since you're just cutting something together for your client to reference, but that might result in a long render toward the end when you're ready to export.

You could also try DV-NTSC since, again, you're just cutting together a reference video. But then, of course, you're at SD resolution

Rob Grauert, Jr.
http://www.robgrauert.com
command-r.tumblr.com

Return to posts index

Dave LaRonde
on Jul 30, 2012 at 8:37:07 pm

How about ProRes LT or ProRes Proxy? You need FCP 7 to access them.

Dave LaRonde
Sr. Promotion Producer
KCRG-TV (ABC) Cedar Rapids, IA

Return to posts index

Jim Press
on Jul 31, 2012 at 5:18:35 am

We switched from ProRes422 (1hr of 1080 24p= 62GB) to ProResLT (1hr of 1080 24p= 43GB) about a year ago. Can't see any visual difference but LT is about two thirds the size. Moving to ProResProxy (1hr of 1080 24p= 20GB) is about a third the size as 422 although you might see some difference in high detail scene, but for proxy editing is more than good enough.

Return to posts index

Rafael Amador
on Jul 31, 2012 at 9:46:56 am

[Bill Chen] "I've been experimenting with is transcoding the footage to 'Apple Motion JPEG A'"
That´s a legacy codec.
Use PhotoJPEG and set the quality up to you.
PhotoJPEG will give you small files and RT.
rafael

http://www.nagavideo.com

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2018 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]