FORUMS: list search recent posts

Best video file for FTP and final delivery

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro Legacy

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Greg Ball
Best video file for FTP and final delivery
on Jul 30, 2012 at 1:34:44 pm

Hi All,

I'm working on a project that involved sending the video to an ftp site for translation and subtitling. Then taking that video into FCP and building my own translated graphic titles(using motion) on the screen. The end result will be DVDs in the new language.

I prefer to edit in pro res. But I'm concerned that the videos will be too large in file size to upload to our translator's ftp site. Each video (there are 8 of them) will be about 3 minutes in length.

Would I be better off uploading .h264 files so the translators can add the subtitles? Then converting the .h264 to pro res so I can finish the videos with on screen graphic titles? Or is there a better way to send them to an ftp site and keep it high quality?

I can't sent the translators a hard drive, because they are out of country, and I need a very quick turnaround.

Thanks.

Return to posts index

Steve Eisen
Re: Best video file for FTP and final delivery
on Jul 30, 2012 at 6:17:09 pm

[Greg Ball] "I prefer to edit in pro res. But I'm concerned that the videos will be too large in file size to upload to our translator's ftp site. Each video (there are 8 of them) will be about 3 minutes in length."

If the translator/subtitler are experienced, this job should be very simple. 3 minute videos take up very little space.

Check out capsubservices.com

Ask the company doing this for you.

Steve Eisen
Eisen Video Productions
Vice President
Chicago Creative Pro Users Group

Return to posts index

Juan Manuel
on Jul 30, 2012 at 8:15:41 pm

Are the translators burning the subtitles in the video? If it's dvd, there is no need for that. Upload H.264 files and have the translators provide you with the subtitles in the text format your dvd authoring software uses, ie stl.
That way, they don't need a high quality video, just good enough to translate. And if you're doing something fancier than plain text in motion, they don't need prores either. They don't even need to upload a video, just a text file with the timecode, so you know when to put them in motion.

Return to posts index

Greg Ball
on Jul 30, 2012 at 8:24:49 pm

Thanks for your responses. Perhaps I didn't explain this well enough. I'm not creating the DVD. I'm giving the client a Quicktime file with subtitles burned on and I'm replacing their on-screen graphics with graphics in the new language. The videos will be used for DVDs that they will create as well as web videos.

S o all subtitles need to be burned onto the video (quicktime). Thats why I'm looking for suggestions.

Return to posts index

Juan Manuel
on Jul 31, 2012 at 2:56:54 pm

Michael Cinquin is your friend
http://www.michaelcinquin.com/tools/subtitles/srt_to_fcp
That site has a java script which allows you to import srt files into a final cut xml file, so the translators will only need to send you a text file. The downside is, if you want to change the font, you'll need to do it manually for each subtitle and you'll need to convert the xml file you get from the script into xml version 4 to keep the line breaks.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]