FORUMS: list search recent posts

24fps to match 23.98 footage?

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro Legacy

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Nelson Goforth
24fps to match 23.98 footage?
on Jul 29, 2012 at 3:52:43 pm

I'm handling media for a project in which two Red cameras were used to shoot interviews. The project will be edited in Final Cut Pro. I am rendering the footage out in Davinci Resolve (light version).

One of the cameras was inadvertently set to a project rate of 24fps instead of 23.98. The other camera was at 23.98.

1. Is there any general conversion I can do to the 24fps footage?

2. Is there any downside I simply render out the footage at 23.98? It seems to work fine in my copy of Final Cut, but I'm not sure what happens if the end user tries to conform to the original R3D files for color correction.

My intention had been to sync to a separate audio master, but that won't work for both cameras now. I am going to export the audio from the 24fps camera and try to sync to that (not having audio on the Resolve-rendered footage).

Any ideas on the best way to handle this situation?

Thank you,
Nelson

Red Camera Rental & Indy Features, Denver Colorado.
rockymountain4k.com * 303.506.2456

Return to posts index

Brit MacFarland
Re: 24fps to match 23.98 footage?
on Jun 9, 2014 at 3:30:58 pm

Did you solve this problem? I am having the same issue.

Return to posts index

Nelson Goforth
Re: 24fps to match 23.98 footage?
on Jun 9, 2014 at 10:45:07 pm

Not in any good way.

Because the drift was so slow, it took quite some time before the lack of sync was obvious. I finally split everything down to 5 or 10-minute segments and synced by hand. Ugh.

The lesson: check your critical settings TWICE. ("Measure twice, saw once" as my shop teacher said).

Red Camera Rental & Indy Features, Denver Colorado.
rockymountain4k.com * 303.506.2456

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2018 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]