FORUMS: list search recent posts

Importing a green screen dvd into fcp7 for editing

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro Legacy

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Tisha Austin
Importing a green screen dvd into fcp7 for editing
on Jul 28, 2012 at 12:29:42 pm

I need help! I have recorded my brother in front of a green screen with the hope of editing it in fcp7. how do i import it? does it need to be converted somehow beforehand? i want to have him look like he is talking in front of a pic i took of our grandma's house. if i import it fcp7 as a .mov file, can i edit it and get rid of the green screen or not?
thank you.

Return to posts index

Mark Suszko
Re: Importing a green screen dvd into fcp7 for editing
on Jul 28, 2012 at 4:13:09 pm

Ok, the dvd was recorded in MPEG2. Download the free application, called MPEG STREAMCLIP.
Drag the icon for your DVD onto the logo for MPEG stream clip, let it convert the disk, export it to your video drive as mov format. Now you can use it in fcp7.

However...

the method you used to get this green screen footage degrades the quality quite a bit. You might not get perfect results when keying.

My suggestion is when you use mpeg streamclip, export to proves 444, make a prores 444 timeline, and do the keying there. If you need to put the finished composite into another piece of video, you can convert it at that point.

Return to posts index

Gina Austin
on Jul 28, 2012 at 4:45:10 pm

Thanks Mark!! That helps a lot.

Return to posts index

float pave
on Nov 27, 2012 at 10:30:55 am
Last Edited By float pave on Feb 20, 2014 at 2:38:09 am

AppGeeker is another great tool to rip dvd files for FCP7, it seems that the tool has presets for FCP for simplify process.
Here is a guide about how to rip dvd to mov format:
http://www.appgeeker.com/convert/rip-dvd-to-mov-mac.html check it it.
Best regards.

Return to posts index

Alan Okey
on Jul 28, 2012 at 11:22:49 pm

ProRes 4444 is complete overkill, as DVD is MPEG-2, which is 4:2:0. ProRes 422 is more than adequate for DVD sources.

Return to posts index

Mark Suszko
on Jul 28, 2012 at 11:31:13 pm

Alan, I think you're right, I was just thinking that there is no reason to make the entire project/timeline in mpeg2, just because one element is. For greenscreen, especially inferior material to start with, you want a little bit of overkill, I think. But you're right that the lower prores setting should still be adequate.

Return to posts index

Alan Okey
on Jul 28, 2012 at 11:34:27 pm

Agreed, ProRes 422 would be an ideal sequence setting for this project.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]