FORUMS: list search recent posts

Creating iPad/iPhone-like motion effects in FCP 7?

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro Legacy

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Nick Ravich
Creating iPad/iPhone-like motion effects in FCP 7?
on Jul 28, 2012 at 4:22:31 am

Hello-

Running FCP7 on 10.6 OS Mac Pro.

Doing a short doc profile where artist subject is showing us pics on her iPad. Looking to cut bet/ field footage of her manipulating pics on iPad - moving, sorting, zooming in - and the digital pics themselves. And thinking wouldn't it be clever of me to mimic those now std Mac user interface motions in FCP. You know what I mean - those finger/touch motivated motions, the pic shuffling that ramps up and down, that particular way it zooms in or out.

Guessing I'm not the first one to think of this and wondering if anyone's come across any easy to use plugins or techniques?
Could attempt to custom recreate in motion graphics app like After Effects but guessing that's going to be pretty time-consuming.

Let me know,
Nick.

Return to posts index

Dave LaRonde
Re: Creating iPad/iPhone-like motion effects in FCP 7?
on Jul 28, 2012 at 3:07:06 pm

[Nick Ravich] "...wouldn't it be clever of me to mimic those now std Mac user interface motions in FCP. You know what I mean - those finger/touch motivated motions, the pic shuffling that ramps up and down, that particular way it zooms in or out.

Guessing I'm not the first one to think of this and wondering if anyone's come across any easy to use plugins or techniques?"

Are you attempting to do this after the fact, or are you still in the planning stages of this complicated effects shot?

And I DO mean complicated. Here are just a few of the tasks involved:
  • Multiple motion tracks
  • Rotoscoping
  • Possible chroma keying
  • Motion control to shoot clean plates
  • Color correction
Needless to say, there aren't any easy-to-use plugins or techniques. And if you aren't intimately familiar with an app like After Effects, you will indeed spend a lot of time at it. Think in terms of several work days to learn the techniques, and many hours to then do the actual work.

So if you're still at the "wouldn't it be cool to do this" stage, and you're not well-versed in the processes of effects work, you may want to consider formulating a Plan B, saving this for another day.

It's a fine idea, just not an easily-created one.

Dave LaRonde
Sr. Promotion Producer
KCRG-TV (ABC) Cedar Rapids, IA

Return to posts index

Nick Ravich
on Jul 30, 2012 at 2:22:00 pm

Thanks Dave.

Thinking maybe you're thinking I'm looking to key/composite in pics into the iPad field footage. Actually, looking to fully cut bet/ the 2; it's just that I want what I create in post to mimic what we're seeing in the field footage. At the most basic, I'm looking for what's in essence a more fluid kind of wipe/push. So single pic slides on and off over black, as if it's been pushed along by unseen finger. Also, hoping to do that particular iPad zoom in effect.

And I'm working with an editor who's pretty AE fluent.

Nick.

Return to posts index

Dave LaRonde
on Jul 30, 2012 at 2:28:23 pm

Your AE guy will need at the very least a locked-down shot of the iPhone turned off.

He can then use it to both 1) create a mask behind which the animation of the shots will occur and 2) place the screen back over the top on a duplicated layer, using a blend mode to add the inevitable variations in screen reflectivity. It'll help sell the shot.

Dave LaRonde
Sr. Promotion Producer
KCRG-TV (ABC) Cedar Rapids, IA

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]