FORUMS: list search recent posts

FCP 7 with Mountain Lion

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro Legacy

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Julian Semilian
FCP 7 with Mountain Lion
on Jul 27, 2012 at 4:04:13 am

Hello,

Hope this finds you well. I have heard rumors that FCP 7 won't open with Mountain Lion. Is there any truth to that?

I am about to download Mountain Lion but have a project I have been working on on FCP 7.

Please advice.

Many thanks,

Julian

Return to posts index

Scott Sheriff
Re: FCP 7 with Mountain Lion
on Jul 27, 2012 at 6:13:45 am

[Julian Semilian] "I am about to download Mountain Lion but have a project I have been working on on FCP 7."

Rule #1: If you're in the middle of a project, don't update your software or OS, ever.

Rule #2: If it ain't broke, don't fix it. In other words if your system is running well don't update it unless you have a reason. Just because a new version is out, is not necessarily a reason.

Rule #3: Don't update your software or apps to a major revision until at least one minor revision has come out.

Rule #4: Don't update your OS unless you are willing to do a clean install from scratch of both the OS and FCS.

Rule #5: Don't update your system until you are 110% sure the driver, plugins and other minor items you depend on are compatible, or have been updated.

Rule #6: Don't update your OS or FCS until you have cloned your existing drive, or are starting on a fresh HD.

Rule #7: Don't update your system until reliable people have done the so, and reported back that all is well.

Break any of these rules and you are in uncharted waters...Ye be warned!

But, what the heck, you could always take one for the team, go for it and be the beta tester for everyone else.

Scott Sheriff
Director
http://www.sstdigitalmedia.com

"If you think it's expensive to hire a professional to do the job, wait until you hire an amateur." ---Red Adair

Return to posts index

Dave LaRonde
on Jul 27, 2012 at 2:10:49 pm

Amen to every single word!

Dave LaRonde
Sr. Promotion Producer
KCRG-TV (ABC) Cedar Rapids, IA

Return to posts index

Phillip Todd
on Jul 27, 2012 at 4:07:33 pm

I agree with everything said above.

And here is a beta tester report of FCP 6.0.6 on ML:
http://forums.creativecow.net/thread/8/1162499

I am still a skeptic.

Phillip Todd
Cinematographer

http://vimeo.com/philliptodd

Return to posts index

Julian Semilian
on Jul 27, 2012 at 8:27:10 pm

Thank you all for the very helpful reply!

Return to posts index

Christopher McDonell
on Jul 27, 2012 at 10:05:40 pm

Is it really necessary to do a clean install of FCP and/or OS X every single time? It's time consuming, means I have to dig out all my serials and reinstall every other piece of software, etc. It's 2012. Sure this isn't just being overly and unnecessarily cautious?

P.S. You can pounce on me all you want. But it needs to be asked. ;)

Chris

Return to posts index

Craig Alan
on Jul 28, 2012 at 3:21:11 am

All true and I hear reports of no harm no foul. I guess if you clone your system, try the migration approach and all goes well then you saved some time. However, what it takes to be prepared for a clean install has a lot in common with what it takes to recover from hardware failure or system wide corruption or theft or a new Mac. Or even a fouled up pro app. Make disc images of all your installs. Make a spreadsheet of all your serial numbers and passwords, and version #s etc -- if you park the files in a sparse image you can password protect them. Clone previous set up. Store all this on an inexpensive external drive. Keep it up to date. The install disc images can be stored on the root level of the backup or on a separate partition. Wait for reports on your stuff working well on new OS (print drivers, graphic cards, Mac model, plug-ins etc). All this good practice anyway. Why not start clean and have a well oiled machine? I have never heard of an update where someone didn't post that it went without a hitch. All's well. I have never heard of an update where someone did not post about some essential going to hell. The other thing I like about clean installs aside from the spring cleaning that it forces me to practice is that I can load sections of my stuff onto the new system a little at a time. It forces me to learn where everything is supposed to go and I always find stuff I might as well trash. For example, if i have an app that I will no longer use, why have it on the new set-up? And what might have gotten installed or been added over time by running this app? What I have found is that consumer level stuff is easier to up date using migration tools. Like where did my contacts and old email go? That library suitcase type files sometimes are a pain to get back the way they were. But google usually does the trick and again it's not a bad thing to know. The pro apps on the other hand always seem better off clean. But times are changing and it seems Apple is using more of these shrink wrapped suitcased organization systems. Either way clone it first and you can always go home again.

MacPro4,1 2.66GHz 8 core 12gigs of ram. GPU: Nvidia Geoforce GT120 with Vram 512. OS X 10.6.x; Camcorders: Panasonic AG-HPX170, Sony Z7U, Canon HV30/40, Sony vx2000/PD170; FCP 6 certified; write professionally for a variety of media; teach video production in L.A.

Return to posts index

Scott Sheriff
on Jul 28, 2012 at 4:51:17 pm

[Christopher McDonell] " Is it really necessary to do a clean install of FCP and/or OS X every single time?"

Yes, but only if you are running FCS, and only if you are on a major revision like FCS2 to FCS3, or Leopard to Snow Leopard.

[Christopher McDonell] "It's time consuming, means I have to dig out all my serials and reinstall every other piece of software, etc."

If you are a professional editor, you should be organized in everything you do, and shouldn't have to dig out anything. And you don't have to reinstall everything, only FCS. You simply drag your old software from your clone to the new drive.
If you are really concerned about time, don't upgrade. FCS is not going to be any better, or faster, and there is always the chance that plugins, driver, etc will not work under a new OS. Just because apple is selling something doesn't mean you have to run out and buy it. Wouldn't it be better to spend that useless upgrade time editing?

[Christopher McDonell] "It's 2012. Sure this isn't just being overly and unnecessarily cautious?"

Without going into the minutia of how FCS and the OS work, I'll instead point out the numerous posts over the years from people that didn't follow this advice in the past and thought all was well because FCS opened, and they were able to do a couple of quick edits and such. Then when they really needed the system to perform with big projects and deadlines they were faced with the beachball, and kernel panic after kernel panic. There have been a few that report cutting corners works, but how trustworthy are their reports? Do we know how hard they push their system, or how many KP's they'll tolerate?
Just because someone upgraded yesterday, and reported all is well, is not the best yardstick to judge by either. How much real stress can the average user put on the system in just a couple of days?
If you are organized and have disc images and all the items you need, this only takes an afternoon. If you corners it is possible to lose much more productive time to to KP's, the beachball or other anomalies. And then when you have had enough, and decide to do the clean install, you have lost more time that if you had just done it right. Not only does this cost you money, but it hurts your reputation. Scheduled maintenance is a normal part of being a business professional, but in the end it's up to you to decide if your the cut corners type of person, or not. If you find that you are, perhaps you should rethink your vocation. I don't want my plumber, mechanic, electrician to cut corners on work I'm paying for, or miss an appointment because the truck broke down from lack of proper maintenance and I bet you wouldn't either.

[Christopher McDonell] "P.S. You can pounce on me all you want. But it needs to be asked. ;)"
Actually, it doesn't need to be asked. There is a search box right at the top of the page. If you searched 'clean install', you would get over 1400 results, going back to at least Tiger installs. This story has been told again, and again. But hey, you did invite us to pounce on you, right?

Scott Sheriff
Director
http://www.sstdigitalmedia.com

http://www.affordabledolly.com

"If you think it's expensive to hire a professional to do the job, wait until you hire an amateur." ---Red Adair

Return to posts index

Paul Jay
on Jul 30, 2012 at 10:16:10 am

Quicktime is dead in Moutain Lion. All AV Foundation.

Stick to Lion and look for a future edit application.

Btw. FCPX and Premiere CS6 are both awesome.

Return to posts index

Paul Jay
on Jul 30, 2012 at 10:20:50 am

Meaning it will work but you won't get any broadcast output over PCIe or Thunderbolt.

Return to posts index

Christopher McDonell
on Aug 2, 2012 at 4:59:07 pm

[Paul Jay] "Quicktime is dead in Moutain Lion. All AV Foundation."

Huh? That doesn't sound good. Can someone please verify or comment.

(And Scott, thanks for the tips up above.)

Return to posts index

Julian Semilian
on Aug 2, 2012 at 5:07:58 pm

Again rumors, but I hear you can USE quicktime files but, cannot output.

Please verify!!!

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2018 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]