FORUMS: list search recent posts

Prores 4444 software down-converting

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro Legacy

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Nico Scott
Prores 4444 software down-converting
on Jul 27, 2012 at 12:00:54 am

Hi All,

I'm really looking for some info on workflows others find work best when down-converting Prores 4444 1080p footage/projects using software.

I have a FCP7 project with the above settings, however the end target is actually PAL SD for broadcast. I know many people suggest working in a sequence that you will finish in, but everything I've been given for this job is 1920x1080 (graded footage, graphics, animation).

I've tried a few test exports to PAL SD using FCP (QT conversion), Compressor with various settings, After Effects and also dragging the original sequence into a PAL SD sequence in FCP. These all seem to wield varying results, AE seemed to be the better option.

In an Ideal world I'm sure a hardware conversion would be far better, but I don't have this luxury. Could anyone suggest specific settings/software they feel would do the best job? Even additional software that I could get, if it's not too pricey.

Any feedback/comments greatly appreciated.

Cheers,
Nico

Art Director says "What do you mean by title safe?"...Bangs head on wall.

Return to posts index

eric pautsch
Re: Prores 4444 software down-converting
on Jul 27, 2012 at 3:16:52 am

Not sure if you have access to a PC but Ive been using a various of this workflow for several years and it beats or, at least, equals any hardware converter....and its all free

Hardware conversions are mostly a tape to tape workflow anyway.

http://bellunevideo.com/tutdetail.php?tutid=12

Return to posts index

Nico Scott
on Jul 27, 2012 at 4:32:29 am

Thanks for the info Eric. Unfortunately I don't access to a PC, but I'm interested to check out this workflow for future reference.

Return to posts index

Rafael Amador
on Jul 28, 2012 at 10:25:52 am

The best software resizing tool for Mac is, by far, Apple´s SHAKE.
If you can get it, don´t hessitate.
rafael

http://www.nagavideo.com

Return to posts index

Nico Scott
on Jul 30, 2012 at 12:22:34 am

Thanks Rafael,

I'll see if I can locate a copy somewhere...

Out of interest does anyone use Motion for down conversion with good results?

Return to posts index

Rafael Amador
on Jul 31, 2012 at 11:28:51 am

[Nico Scott] "Out of interest does anyone use Motion for down conversion with good results?"
MOTION has a very good DOWNSCALING filter (inherited from SHAKE) called LANCZOS. You won´t find it in Filters but in the "Image Units".
Still SHAKE offers better options than MOTION and works in 32b FP (MOTION doesn´t works FP).
rafael

http://www.nagavideo.com

Return to posts index

Nico Scott
on Jul 31, 2012 at 11:12:45 pm

thanks for info. Haven't been able to get me hands on shake so I'll give this a shot. After reading some other posts I found using AE and applying a small amount of Gaussian blur before down scaling quite effective, as long as you add a sharp mask on the newly created files.

I'll let you know how i go.

thanks

Return to posts index

Nico Scott
on Aug 1, 2012 at 1:27:40 am

I've just tried out LANCZOS scaling in Motion, however it seems a bit messy as I couldn't figure out an easy way to scale down my 1920x1080 footage to PAL 720x576 (16:9) so it was precise. I just had to change the project settings then drag the slider and reposition the image to sit inside the frame.

Is there something I'm missing?

Return to posts index

Nico Scott
on Aug 23, 2012 at 1:26:26 am

For those who may stumble upon this thread...

I have since decided after many, many tests, that for the moment my best workflow when downscaling is using Compressor (using frame controls of course!)

It's a shame that it takes such a ridiculous amount of time, but seems to yield the best results for my workflow.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2018 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]