FORUMS: list search recent posts

Standard 2-way Color Corrector versus 3-way or any other one weirdness.

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro Legacy

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Peter Gosens
Standard 2-way Color Corrector versus 3-way or any other one weirdness.
on Jul 26, 2012 at 8:45:51 pm

Its not really an issue its something that bothers me for a very long time now. Let me explain:

When you have some footage in FCP and add the standard (two-way) Color Corrector and only push up the Mids slider the image changes of course. It however changes in a total different way than any other grading tool. Compare it with something like the 3-way corrector of an other grading in something like Premiere. They all react different than the 2-way in FCP but more-or-less the same. Now my question is what is the 2-way grading actually doing when you push up the mids.

Maybe you thing who cares. Actually I care a lot, cause with DSLR footage and pushing the mids with the FCP 2-way grader you a certain look I like a lot. Yes I tried already al lot Premiere graders, Red gaint ones, Apple Color.

I also made a LUT so there is a way to get the effect in Premiere. But I would love to know what this 2-way grader does with black mids and highligts. So I can recreate this in every programm. Like AE and Premiere....

Yes I admit this is the only thing that holds me back from switching to Premiere. Ok that was way to much text... but anyway. Hopefully somebody know a bit more about this matter.

Return to posts index

Shane Ross
Re: Standard 2-way Color Corrector versus 3-way or any other one weirdness.
on Jul 26, 2012 at 9:11:07 pm

Why aren't you using the 3-way color corrector in FCP? It has one.

Shane
Little Frog Post
Read my blog, Little Frog in High Def

Return to posts index

Peter Gosens
on Jul 26, 2012 at 9:15:01 pm

Cause if you read what I was writing. I'm asking what makes it actually behave different. 2-way versus 3-way. It makes a different calculation on the mids. And I want to know what this behavior actually is. So I could recreate this.

Return to posts index

Shane Ross
on Jul 26, 2012 at 9:19:29 pm

But you are comparing apples and oranges. Apple's 2 way with Adobe's 3 way. You might see the difference in the Apple 2 way vs Apple 3-way.

And sorry, I don't use the 2-way as I don't like it. Doesn't do what I need. And most high end color correctors have 3 wheels (Color, Resolve, Smoke), not two. I don't know what the two-way does.

Shane
Little Frog Post
Read my blog, Little Frog in High Def

Return to posts index

Peter Gosens
on Jul 26, 2012 at 9:26:08 pm

I'm comparing the 2-way FCP versus the 3-way FCP corrector. And also saying that the 3 way FCP corrector is more-or-less behaving in the same way than any other (like premiere or color). I just want to know what this 2-way FCP grader actually calculates underneath. So I can recreate it.

Of course everyone has its own preferences and does what works for him or her. It just bothers me that I can't figure out what this 2-way fcp grader actually does. Other than what the label says it does.

Return to posts index

Joseph Owens
on Jul 27, 2012 at 4:42:29 pm

[Peter Gosens] " I just want to know what this 2-way FCP grader actually calculates underneath."

So assuming that Apple isn't going to email you the algorithm...

Why don't you load a standard test signal (color bars, maybe, although a graduated stairstep or ramp would be better) and dial in a correction. See where it goes, Do the math.

jPo

"I always pass on free advice -- its never of any use to me" Oscar Wilde.

Return to posts index

Peter Gosens
on Jul 27, 2012 at 4:51:09 pm

I also assumed they won't :)

I extracted a LUT with lutbuddy so I actually know the exact change it made. Still I'm kind of lost how it got this outcome. I'm still trying by a trail and error approach to figure it out. It looks like its first leveling the colors to the same level and then pushing it, but also not really. I'll keep on trying.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]