FORUMS: list search recent posts

title safe still necessary

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro Legacy

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Gerret Warner
title safe still necessary
on Jul 26, 2012 at 1:00:09 pm

I'm editing a video that will be distributed via DVD. figuring that a majority of people are looking at flat screen tvs these days, with less fluctuation in screen real estate, I wonder if I still need to play it so safe with titles.

Have any other people been inching closer to safe action?

Thanks

Return to posts index

Steve Eisen
Re: title safe still necessary
on Jul 26, 2012 at 2:45:53 pm

Tile safe is absolutely necessary. Not all TV/Monitors are alike.

Steve Eisen
Eisen Video Productions
Vice President
Chicago Creative Pro Users Group

Return to posts index

Scott Sheriff
on Jul 26, 2012 at 4:58:38 pm

Safe area is still needed, but it doesn't need to be as much as it had been in the CRT era. That said, there is still quite a bit of variation in flat screens so it would be hard to say how much is enough/too much.
Sorry, not very helpful. Just going to be one of those things you judge based on experience.

Scott Sheriff
Director
http://www.sstdigitalmedia.com

"If you think it's expensive to hire a professional to do the job, wait until you hire an amateur." ---Red Adair

Return to posts index

Andrew Rendell
on Jul 28, 2012 at 8:57:30 am

Yes it's still necessary, but the default areas in FCP (and Avid as well, in fact) are rubbish these days. For the last few years I have used a tiff that I downloaded from a broadcaster, which I place on a layer to line stuff up to, then delete it when I'm done. Vertically it's close to the action area box, but it doesn't go as wide horizontally.

IMO without having a broadcaster's spec to hand, I wouldn't go wider than the "title" box but going a bit above/below it should be ok, but not beyond the "action" box.

Return to posts index

Andrew Rendell
on Jul 30, 2012 at 8:34:33 pm

BTW, I found the current "safe area" in use in the UK (so this may not be current in the rest of the world). It's pretty easy to make up in Photoshop or similar:

Create a picture 1920 pixels wide by 1080 pixels high and set your ruler to pixels.
Counting down from the top, draw a horizontal line at pixel 55 and another at pixel 1026.
Counting horizontally in from the left, draw a vertical line at pixel 289 and another at pixel 1632.

There is another version for centre cut 4:3 compatibility which has the vertical lines at pixels 337 and 1584, but I wouldn't be concerned about that for DVD/Bluray.

Return to posts index

Gerret Warner
on Jul 31, 2012 at 3:11:22 pm

Thanks, all.

Will stick with title safe. Too much to lose.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2018 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]